Ok,.. I know i've asked this a million times... but I still need help!!!

I feel like I have an infant again.. my son will NOT sleep at night anymore. He's starting to get rid of the daytime naps, his own choice here. We still try to make sure he gets quiet time at least but he will not sleep through the night.. last night he woke up at 10, 11, 1, 3 and 6... he's 2-1/2... WTH? this all started 8 months ago after he turned 2 and got a flu virus.. I am getting worn down and makes me lose my cool... I've resorted back to the infant sleep books but nothing is working.. he still wakes so many times.. I need sleep and help.... 8 months and tons of methods = crabby family

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• To be honest, he sounds rather normal to me. I'd be expecting this kind of behavior up to the third birthday. They're not designed to sleep the way we insist they do, alone in their own room. Not to say they can't learn, but it's still early to expect the lesson to "take."

Keep up your routines, walk him back to bed EVERY time. Even if it's ten times a night. Be consistent. Do it again and again and again.

Here's the really bad news. Even when he does sleep better, you won't. **grin** Being the mom means never sleeping eight hours again in your life...so my mom told me and she certainly lived that. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Did you recently change him to a toddler bed from a crib? Sounds like he's feeling insecure.

Also, is he comfortable? Too hot? PJs too scratchy? Does he still wear a diaper?
    Shymama3

Answer by Shymama3 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You could always try letting him run around outside in the fresh air for about an hour or two before bed. I found that it helps my dd to sleep better at night.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Is he in a crib or toddler bed? Does he have a gate in the doorway? I know I am not much of help but, just put him back in bed without saying anything to him maybe he will eventually give up... SO, sorry.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Do you have any idea what is causing him to wake up so much? Is he having some form of toddler insomnia, do you think? I think after so many months of this going on, you'd have to find the root of the problem and then a solution. Is he having night terrors? Is he afraid of something in his room...from his imagination? That is an awful lot to wake up during the night...For ANYONE. I would be gong nuts too..You must be so tired.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sorry to hear :( It is so hard to be functional and productive when not only are you stressed out but sleep deprived. I am sure that you have tried many different methods, and at this point I would suggest that perhaps speaking to your childs pediatrician may be the best "last" resort. Possibly there is some underlying reason for his nighttime waking? Either way, your pediatrician should be able to evaluate the situation and give you some valuable ideas to yield the best results. I hope that things work out well. Good Luck :)
    kiddosX8

Answer by kiddosX8 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• when he just turned 2 in NOv, he changed to a toddler bed and then the very next night he got the Flu bug and I had to sleep on his floor so I could be there when he threw up - it was all night long but that was almost 8 months ago - since then he has gotten a new twin sized bed, we made it fun and he seems to love it - takes naps fine and great, well, when he used to take naps it was fine. But at bedtime we used to go through a horrible nightly change of the pj's he's too hot, too cold, he was sick, needed water, needed this animal or that animal or this blanket another blanket, then I limited it to 1 stuffed animal and 1 extra blanket. I had 2 Dr's confirmed his complaints of being sick are PURELY his form of "playing me" and delaying the bedtime and yanking at my heart -He does still wear a diaper. He falls asleep fine 75%- its the waking all night every couple hours I can't control or understand
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Our Pediatrician suggested US going to a Therapist. He thinks he is seeking me for comfort and can't find or get it on his own. If I leave him to try to put himself to sleep, he only freaks out more - they are not night terrors at all. he just wakes.. sometimes I think its a bad dream or growing pains or sometimes he has boogers that bother him but EVERY night?? I dont' know what to do anymore.. and the fact that its been 8 months is another thing I am frustrated with. His father and I both have anxiety so his chances of gettnig that are pretty high but I am scared to take him to a therapist and get him mis labeled at such a very young age...I just don't know what else to do.. My husband thinks I should stop tending to him but he works nights and hasn't seen how bad that gets trying to do that.. it can literally last up to 4 hours trying to reason with an upset 2 year old...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Here is my experience from having 2 "not so good" sleepers. :) I have found that my kids get into a pattern or habit of doing things like this, my dd especially.

And when I would notice a pattern forming I would change up her normal routine to try to break the routine, for instance, I might let her stay up extremely late for a night or two to break it, or maybe sleep on the couch for a night or two, sometimes even spending the night with my mother, their nae nae...seemed to do the trick,

Sometimes it worked like a charm, sometimes it took a little more trying.

Just wanted to let you know what I figured out about my kids and how I try to fix it :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We also have an air purifeir as white noise in his room, a dream catcher ( as a hope ) he has his comfort animals, He's my little sidekick so he goes everywhere with me or daddy except when we go to work so its not like we are abscent parents who constantly bring him for others to watch, he's only ever slept at home.. it very possibly could be his imagination although we banned monsters at our house with a water bottle when he jokingly said it one day and he never mentions being scared, he literally just says mommy over and over again - oh and this "mommy, snuggle me, make me SO happy and snuggle me" which was how I ended in his bed at first also - who could say no to that.. but even when I do sleep with him, he wakes up just as often, if not more cause its a twin bed and I am not a size 2 or anything.
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010