Bringing your baby in a hot tub/whirlpool!?!?

This girl on my facebook has a picture up of her, in what looks like a hot tub, with her 2 month old son. I asked her about this because the warnings of bringing young children in them. She said it was a whirlpool and not a hot tub. Is there a difference?! Isn't it still dangerous to have a 2 month old in there?

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 1:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OIC .... yeah I would NOT put a baby in public whirlpool like that! EWWWW! lol at home though I got in the tub with baby so it was no big deal
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• whirlpool is just a regular bathtub with jets. Hot tub has very hot water - hence the no baby rule.
    a whirlpool you can have at whatever temp you would normally bathe your baby in
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• A hot tub gets hot but has little jets. A whirlpool also is heated but has more jets in it. I still wouldn't be putting my 2month old in one. Most have more chemicals than a pool I would think.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would think it was some what dangerous because if the baby slipped or something it would be hard find and get a hold of them amongst the rough water but the difference is that a whirl pool is not heated.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• sorry but my whirlpool did not have chemicals - it was in the bathroom, filled with tap water just like a regular bath tub, it just has jets in it
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• OK, she said it was at the YMCA and I've never been there so I didn't know. It LOOKS like they're sitting in a hot tub though. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. It just concerned me :/
    mamie2shoes

Comment by mamie2shoes (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, it wasn't in a bathtub whirlpool. That's why I thought it was a hot tub.
    mamie2shoes

Comment by mamie2shoes (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Even if she did put him in the hot tub, most can have the temp adjusted down. We turn ours down in the summer and it feels like a pool (with jets and bubbles of course).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• the temps in a hot tub can be up to 130 degrees. full grown adults shouldn't be in them more than 5 minutes if it's that hot. most public pools with hot tubs won't let anyone under 16 in the hot tub because it is dangerous
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My MIL has a hot tub, but shes does not turn the heat up. Maybe your friend did not either. Give her the benefit of the doubt.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010