Are there any written records of Jesus?

Well, yes, the bible. But besides that, how come in an era of good record keeping, there isnt any? There were eyewitnesses to his trial, sentencing, burial and resurrection but as far as I know, no one remembers where.

My overall question is does this "lack of evidence" have to do with faith?

My answer- I believe in the bible and I dont think there is a lack of evidence.

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 1:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Actually there are a few written records of Jesus. Check out The History of Religion and Doctirnes: The Glass Mirror as refered to in Dr. Fida Hassnain's book A Search for The Historical Jesus. Another good reference is Nicholas Notovitch's book The Unknown Life Of Jesus Christ and the reference to The Life Of Saint Issa: Best of the Sons of Men (tells the tale of Jesus at 14 visiting a Buddhist monastery) Some of the names Jesus is referred to in other cultures texts (not Hebrew or Roman) are Issa, isa, Yuz Aszf, San Issa and Yesu. So yes, besides the well known, if admittedly second hand, accounts found in the Bible, there is also the evidence of the Nag Hamadi, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the recently recovered Book of Judas (2006). I'm sure a practicing Gnostic could point you in many more directions.

As for the necessity of it and the effect on one's personal spiritual beliefs - that's between you and your god.
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 10:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• There isn't any because he never existed- plain and simple.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• there are a ton of books that were not put in the Bible. The Book of Mary ( writting by Mary Magdalene) wasn't put in b/c it said that women are equal to men and that Jesus trusted HER to lead the Church. I'm sure you can see that didn't go over will. Look for the Apocorapha, there are like 12 books in them all about Christ. It will make you re-think EVERYTHING that you have been told.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I believe a lot of written books were destroyed. That's just my opinion. Couldn't imagine the Bible if everything that were ever written were in it. Think about it, Mary Magdelene (despite great controversy) was a follower and possible the love of Jesus's life. Sure she had a book written or passed along some sort of info...positive it has been destroyed or hasn't been "discovered" yet. As well as Mary adn Joseph, sure there were things somewhere along time and they too have probably been destroyed.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Beyond the biblical and apocryphal writings, I don't know of any. IF, and that's a big IF, execution records were kept, there is a SLIM chance that the execution could have been recorded - but I don't know of anything like that in existence. I would have to say, no, there aren't going to be non-religious notes about this man's life, simply because beyond the religious scope of his existence he wasn't of a huge importance to those around him, for those who weren't his followers he was little more than some crazy son of a carpenter... And I can only imagine they would have had better things to record...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with both of you. Somethings may have been destroyed and the signifigance of Jesus's existance that no one cared and they didnt care about "criminals" back then.

Its just funny that there is records of Pontious Pilate and some historical findings of crucifixtion but not really any mention of Jesus. The evidence sort of just surrounds him in a way.
    3gigglemonsters

Comment by 3gigglemonsters (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm confused by your question, you say there is lack of evidence and then you say you don't believe there is lack of evidence. I don't believe there is lack of evidence either, but I'm confused by how your asking the question.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Actually any educated person in simple history would know that Jesus did exist. He has a lineage thru a real king. Now, if you want to deny Him as the Messiah, then I guess you can deny Him that.
    3gigglemonsters

Comment by 3gigglemonsters (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• lol mybella. Didnt meant to do that.
    3gigglemonsters

Comment by 3gigglemonsters (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• 3gigglemonsters... there is NO historical documentation or archaeological evidence the man ever existed and just because your bible gives a lineage, doesn't mean it's true.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010