Yuck, lice!

Have your children ever had them? Have you ever had them? My 21 month old dd got them and gave them to me. It is just the grossest thing and they seem almost impossible to get rid of. Plus, it's so embarrassing because of all the connotations that come along with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son has never had them, but a couple summers ago my nieces and nephews kept getting them over and over again from school. To get them out after using the rid hair treatments and spray for couches etc. Be sure to wash all clothing, bed sheet and covers and stuffed animals. Also using mayo and a fine tooth comb gets them out really well. Make sure to check each night in case you missed some eggs and they have hatched. Good Luck!
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The daycare center I worked in had them so many times! They are so hard to get rid of and it makes me itch to think about them. Remember to either bag your pillows and freeze them or toss the pillows. Same with the stuffed animals. Vacuum your beds and people always forget about their car. Vacuum your car. They seem to immune to the over the counter treatments so the kids had to get something prescribed by their doctor to actually get rid of them completely. We had to comb out the nits every day for a week after they were treated too. I felt so bad for those kids and their families. One of our teachers got it too. The myth that they generally go to kids that aren't clean isn't true. They seem to love clean hair. Good Luck! Hope its over soon!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, weve had them, twice! It is horrible to have and so hard to get rid of. If you don't do it right the first time, youre going to have to do it over and over again..ugh.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• wash everything in hot hot hot water and dry it on the hottest setting. my mom use to use kerosene on us. it was the worst! we smelled awful for a week or two, but we didnt have lice anymore!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my daughter has gotten them from school, we have used the rid and also her pediatrician told me about a prescription treatment. also a friend of mine told me about a natural treatment that helps get rid of the nits . take cheap olive oil, and cover their hair with it . take a shower cap and cover letting it sit for about 15 minutes. after that take your nit comb and run it through the hair. might take a while but it is much better than all those chemicals.
    rainfey

Answer by rainfey at 2:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My kids havent yet but I suspect once they're in school they probably will.
    I had lice when I was a kid because another kid in my school had it, then tons of us got it.

I can remember sitting at the kitchen table with my head on it for ever while my mum meticulously combed through my hair and removed the lice and eggs. My neck was so sore, but after her doing that and using the lice shampoo, I was lice free.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You have to remember to throw away your vacuum bag after you vacuum the house and furniture! Bag up the stuffed animals and put them outside for at least 2 weeks.

I've never had good luck with the nit comb so be sure to use your fingernails to pull the nits out. Just like Lifes-A-Dance said, they LOVE clean hair and hate hairspray so when my DD went back to school, I pulled her hair back and sprayed with hairspray.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Remember to either bag your pillows and freeze them or toss the pillows - really? I never heard of that. When my kdis caught head lice I ran their pillows through the dryer on high for 45 minutes. I took all their stuffed animals and put them in a sealed bag for 2 weeks, and vacuumed everything in the house..couch, beds, chairs etc. I also took all clothing and bedding to the laundry may and used their big washers and dryers. Combing the hair daily is a must..it takes forever but is the only way to catch any nits that hatch and prevent re-infestation. If anyone in the house has long hair you may want to consider cutting it short, we had to do this to our girls who both had waist length hair, it made combing the nits out much easier.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 6:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I forgot to add that we took our girls outside when we cut their hair, and when we were sure we were completely rid of the lice for sure we took them in for "real" haircuts.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 6:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My dd had them last summer 2 times !! No fun at all. Clean, Clean and more cleaning to get rid of them!!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2010