I think I ate raw chicken !

Hi everyone. I went to my moms office to share lunch with her, we usually get honey seared chicken with brown rice. I ate at least three pieces before I bit into a piece that was completely raw, I spit it out and told my mom she she cut up the chicken she had left and we saw that another piece was raw. I'm very concerned because I am 16 weeks pregnant and I am just praying to got the pieces i already ate were cooked all the way. What will happen if I get sick? Is it going to effect the baby? I'm just very upset and concerned i need opinions. Thank you

Cj605

Asked by Cj605 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• relax. it's not as harmful as you may think. even if you do get sick your body will be able to handle it w/o harming your baby. lots of women go through horrible food poisoning while pregnant and nothing happens to their babies. you probably won't get sick but even if you do you and baby should be completely fine
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would call your doctor if you want to ease your mind or see if they have an opinion on it because I know that my ob told me that raw food is a big no no but I have heard of women craving raw food eating it through out their whole pregnancy and having an incredibly healthy child.
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Ok, take a deep breath.

I'm sure you would have noticed if you had bitten into a piece that was raw, if you noticed it the time you spat it out.
    That being said, if you DID accidentally eat a small piece of raw chicken and there was something wrong with it, your body would reject it and you'd throw up.
    I don't think a small piece will do any harm but if you are really concerned then call your doctor and ask what he/she thinks you should do.

I wouldn't worry though unless you start to feel really ill.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• call doc or on call nurse
    ask how long IF the raw chicken was bad, how long before a person would get sick
    you may have already passed the time when a person would feel it
    and then you are worrying for nothing

by the way, you are such a good mom to worry
    moms = worry all the time
    so you are already a mom at 16 weeks
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I doubt there would be harm to the baby. I hope that you are OK. I agree it wouldn't hurt to call your doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 2:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thank you all for the support and help :)
    Cj605

Comment by Cj605 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010