9 year old girls... to young to walk alone?

my daughter is 9 years old she has friend across the street the same age whose mother lets her go everywhere by herself, across the highway to the store, the gas station, the grocery store, ect. So then my daughter gets mad at me cus I won't let her walk with her friend by themselves to go swimming across town!
Isn't 9 a little young to be givin so much freedom? Or am I being to protective?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• 9 is too young! There would be no way I'd allow my 9 year old to do all those things.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think you are right. There are crazies out there. 9 is too young for that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• That age is too young to walk all over town alone.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• When I was 9 years old...I walked or road my bike everywhere by myself or just with my friends..who were also 9 years old. But that was a different time. I would be just as cautious as you are being about it right now. Thier are just too many sickos are pervs out there for them to go far alone. Maybe if they were in a group of 3 or more, I'd say yes they could walk to the corner store or to the public pool with a teenaged chaperone or one of thier parents or something.
    If its in your instinct to say no, you can't walk alone..then you have a legit reason.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• 20 years ago I would have said it's fine, but the world is a much scarier place than it was when I was 9.
    I wouldn't let my kids go alone either.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Absolutely not... You are not being too over protective. That is way too young...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• waay to young!!!! specially this day and age!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• How far is across town? Does the walk require crossing major roads? I used to walk to the convenience store, pool, library, and school at her age. I think the longest was 25 minutes walking. We also lived in a relatively small town and I always had a friend, if not an older sibling with me. School was the only walk i did alone.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it's to young. Kayleah Wilson 12 years old walking to a friends birthday party in the same neighborhood she lived in. She was found murdered in a irrigationditch a half mile from her house. I live in a nice suburb and many times I see kids much younger than 9 walking alone after dusk and during the day with no parents in sight. This really bothers me. My poor daughter is going to hate the fact that she is going to have to call me or her dad to walk down to get her from a friends house and drop her off. Oh well

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 2:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't think any child at any age should walk alone. Nine is too young to go anywhere without a parent and when they get to the age they can go anywhere without a parent they should walk with a group
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010