Having a timid, shy personality (in army basic training?)

Im really shy, quiet, and I have a hard time standing up for myself, even on the phone with customer service representatives. But I also plan on enlisting in the army and going to boot camp soon.
Will I learn to be stern, loud, and strong in BCT, or is there something I can do to help prepare beforehand? Is it in any way related to me being socially awkward and shy? And what can I do to overcome my fear of talking to people like this and being firm on my decisions so I can do it in everyday life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Practice asking questions, out loud, of a customer service rep, for example, in front of a mirror. Or just practice out loud before making a phone call. I am concerned for you going to basic training. Not for the faint of heart, so I have heard!! You'll have to stand up for yourself there, for sure. I wouldn't think you'd be afraid of anything when you are done. God bless you girl! Thanks for your service to the USA!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• One the very first day, the drill sergeants will seek out the weak ones and exploit their shortcomings; it's the way they test how emotionally strong you are and weed out the ones who will stay and the ones who will quit. People who cry or seem scared out of their minds are the ones that get it the most because they are easily flustered and therefore mess up a lot more. The first two weeks are the hardest and if you make it past that, it will get easier.

What helped me most was being able to 'go to my happy place' when things were hard. If they are yelling or dolling out punishments, just do them, keep your mouth shut and just think about something else. I did things in basic I never imagined I could ever do and I look back now and wonder 'how in the world did I do those things?' It WILL help you to have confidence and self esteem and make you a stronger person in the end.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I was shy and timid, but then I became an Army wife. So if I overcame it by just being a wife, I am sure that you will overcome it during basic training. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• well i didn't go to army basic but I did go through navy basic training. I was just like you timid, shy but when I joined, it changed. I guess because my confidence went through the roof. I was pushed to the point of exhuastion and I even failed a couple of time but I just kept on pushing until I finally achieved and It really changed my whole attitude. I made great friends and I became a stronger person. I think It a great experience to go through, it really makes you take a look at yourself and how strong you can become if you believe in yourself. I know it sounds chessy but thats what happened to me in basics
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm not sure your age, I went to bootcamp at age 20 and was much like you describe yourself. For me, military life made me come out of my shell and grow in ways I never thought possible. You will meet so many people from all back rounds and many will share your feelings. Try not to stress about it too much and good luck!
    madcityswade

Answer by madcityswade at 3:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010