Cat litter alturnative

Has anyone tried the chicken feed as cat litter. I only know one that has and she loves it, but I wanted to get other opinions. The feed store by me sells the layer crumbles for $9 a 50# bag, much cheaper then any other brand I can find. I did make this guys highsided cat box and that is working great.

http://catsadored.com/NEAR%20PERFECT%20LITTER/NEAR_PERFECT_LITTER.htm

emptynstr

Asked by emptynstr at 2:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pets

• A friend of a friend uses it (first time I'd ever heard about it!), I've only been to her house once and to be honest it stunk like cat. My friend said that she cleans the litter box everyday, but the smell was awful.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I never heard of it, but I do know that walmart sales these bags with holes in the bottom for the cat littler box. And when you gather the sides up and pull the bag out it separates the litter from the soiled litter.
    I don't know if it really works but I would have tried it if my cat was still here. He lives with my Mom, she became attached to him.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 3:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I haven't heard of that, may have to look into it. All I know is cat litter is so frustrating to me. I want one that works good, is cheap, doesn't track all over the house and doesn't stink. So far I haven't found that miracle cat litter.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Never heard of using chicken feed, but i have saw in some magazines that there is a litter made out of newspaper. Like its made into pellets. I think tidy cats scoop-able is the best ive seen so far.
    Cressida

Answer by Cressida at 4:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Chicken feed may contain some additives that could be bad for your cat. Also, cats tend to prefer the fine, sandy clumpable litter. If the cat doesn't like the litter, they won't use it. If "chicken feed" were the best option out there, I'm sure the cat litter companies would've gone that route. LOL
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 5:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010