Lunch with friends

You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 3:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would tell them politely that she is a friend and have had good experiences and change the subject

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Depends on my mood. Listen quietly until they are done and then tell them the person they are bashing is a friend. Or speak up right away and tell them they are rude. Anger level would depend on how distasteful they are being.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would say something along the lines of "Hey guys, she is a friend of mine. Could you please not bash her while I'm here. I puts me in a really awkward position and I don't feel comfortable with it."

If they really are respectable and admirable then they should stop. If the situation was reversed in that it was one of them being bashed by another group then they'd want the same respect from you right?
    If they really dislike this person then they can be catty together when you're not around.

They're putting you in an uncomfortable position and that's not cool.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I have had these things happen before. Typically I say "well I have not noticed that and she/he has always been a good friend to me". Most people with any common sense then stop talking smack. Tacky people keep talking.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would just stop them and let them know she is a friend of mine
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 3:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would let them know that she is a friend of mine and whatever they are saying about her if,it isn't true i would let them know that. I dont care too much about people who gossip about other people so i wouldn't even have friends like that in the first place!
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010