Moms who don't vaccinate, how do you get your kids enrolled in school?

In the state I live in, when a kid starts school (public or private), you have to show proof of vaccinations. They give you a booklet at the hospital for your doctor fill out every time a vaccine is given. If you don't vaccinate, how do you get your kids enrolled in school? Do you live in states where this isn't required, or do you home school?

Not bashing. Just curious.

HotMama330

Asked by HotMama330 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in

• I live in CA - We have waivers for either Philosophical, Religious, or Medical reasons not to vaccinate, so while they say vaccines are "required" they really are not.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You can receive a waiver in all states for your children to go to public schools.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I will be homeschooling but here in the state of Texas you cant send your kid to school without the required vaccines.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I gave them this form. http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/oklahoma.htm but in oklahoma you dont have to vaccinate
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 3:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I always wondered that myself. My kids have all their shots, but just wondered how people get their kids in school when they have to have shots. We are getting ready for my DD to start kindergarden in the fall and they told me that she has to be cought up on shots in order to go to school and have her kindergarden shots so I don't know
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Never heard of a waiver and I was sent home in highschool along with many others because are parents hadnt yet take us to get a vaccine. Plus I here this all the time on the news how students are not allowed to come to school with out the propper vaccinations. I honestly dont get why parents would choose not to get vaccines, they help keep our children safe from many bad things. Back in the day we didnt have all the vaccines we have now and thats why people were dying in there 50s but now that we have the technology were able to live longer. Just doesnt make sense to me.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• in michigan there is a waiver you can use for child care and public school
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• IN NC - you can waiver only for religious and medical reasons. So look into your state requirements as some states allow for philosophical reasons and others - like NC - do not. (Last I looked at NC's laws)
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, there are waivers for religious, medical, or philosophical reasons but not every state will honor every one - the rules differ state to state. Go online and research your state to find out what this means for you.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• All states have exemptions. There are three kinds: Medical, Religious and Philosophical. Only two states are strict about the exemptions, accepting only Medical exemptions. All other states accept Medical and Religious, and several states allow for a Philosophical exemption.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010