I was molested when I was 14. It has been bothering me lately because I watch a tv show about molseters. I talk to my pastor about it and now I feel like a idiot for even bringing it up to him. Was I out of line going to my pastor about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You have to realize that the "feeling like an idiot" part is stemming from the offender. That's what a rapist and molester does...they seek to control, they want their vicitims to feel weak, helpless and voiceless. Don't let those feelings keep you a prisoner. The more you talk about it out loud and come to terms about what happened, the more you seek God for his comfort and strength the closer you get to being set free! You may have scars but you can heal!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i dont think so. they are there to help you in times of need, even if you just need someone to talk to.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If he made you feel bad about it he's an ass. Find a therapist to talk to, they can really help.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, you were not out of line at all. I've had the same emotions as you, and my stepmom told me something that stuck with me.

She said that my molestor took something from me, but he also gave me certain rights. As the victim, it's my right to choose who I tell, when I tell, how often I speak about it, etc.

Don't ever feel stupid for doing what is best for you. You can talk about as much as you want, to whomever you want. If screaming it from a rooftop is what you need to do to help yourself - go for it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Going to talk to your pastor about something horrible that has happened to you and about they way you are feeling is NOT out of line. You pastor is supposed to be there to support you and give you comfort and spiritual guidance, not to judge you.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You were not out of line. You wanted to seek help, and your pastor is a logical place to go.

Answer by Bmat at 3:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Maybe you can tell him you feel like an idiot for bringing it up. You probably need to also find the correct person you can open up too without feeling this way. But so far a pastor was the right person to speak with.
    But here is something I found on the internet.
    amac.usclargo.com --- it is a support group for adults molested as children. In fact it said that amac is an acronym for adults molested as children.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 3:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Another question is if this is the first time you've opened up to someone about it. Opeining up about it can be scary and we can often trick ourselves into beliving we're foolish for bringing it up. You might feel silly or that it isn't important but if it is something that bothers you it is important and opening up about it is the first step in addressing the issue and recovering.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Pastors are NOT mental health professionals, which is what you REALLY need. Yes, it was unwise of you to take it to him. They think that god fixes everything but, as you know only too well, god isn't always the answer. You need a professional to help you deal with this trauma.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I believe going to your pastor is not out of line. He is God's shepherd here on earth to tend His flock, it's part of what he's called to do to counsel biblically.
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 7:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010