How can I tell SO he has atrocious breath?

I never post anon, but with this I will. We share a comp and I dont want to hurt his feelings. If anyone wants to know who I am ask and I will send you so you know this is a real question. Anyway, my SO has really really bad breath. He also bleeds at night from his gums so I know something is wrong. I am getting him to the dentist based on this issue so I dont hurt him. How do you tell someone you love that something like that is wrong? He used mouthwash and flosses and brushes everyday twice a day. But he hasnt been to the dentist for 20 years!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I would just tell him exactly like you wrote this post. Not to trash him about his breath but to let him know you're concerned that it could be a more serious problem.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Just make an appointment for you and him and when you tell him just say "I made us both appointments to get cleanings". And if he says why say cause you were reading where people need to get cleaning twice a year.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• He should understand that your concern is because you love him, and not because you are trying to be mean. Mouth infections can KILL people, so he really needs to get to a dentist ASAP. My dad became very very sick from not going to the dentist in ages, he had an infection that could have killed him. My step mom FINALLY got him to the dentist to have all his teeth pulled because his mouth was so bad. He has dentures now and isn't thrilled about it, but he didn't take care of his teeth and it beats the alternative.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Just tell him! I would. I have told mine when he needs mouthwash or to brush. If you can't tell him, who will?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sounds like he has gingivitis and a treatment for that is a prescription MOUTHWASH....so that might help you out with his problem of the smell,lol. He's lucky you must be nicer than me becuse I can only hold back on something like that for so long before I would blurt out "OMG YOUR BREATH REAKS!" LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• buy some mints or try a new toothpaste I would say be very tactful so he doesn't get his feelings hurt.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 3:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you say "honey, your breath is rank!" that's what i told my dh last night. lol he went and used some mouth wash.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Tell him that you love him and are concerned about his health. Tell him that his breath is bad and that his gum problems can lead to serious infection all over his body so you are worried about him. I know it's hard to feel that you are hurting someone that you love, but take a breath, give him a hug, and tell him.

Answer by Bmat at 3:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Whenever my breath smells, my SO tells me I smell like a swamp donkey. Lol, in your case I would tell him that you are really worried about his health and your teeth/gums are a very big factor in overall health. Tell him your worried because his gums bleed and his breath sometimes smell 'off' and just say , you really need to get into the dentist so they can take care of this.
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 3:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• "Sweetheart, I love you and this doesn't take away from the fact that I love you...but your breath is awful!"

or

"Hey, I feel like I've had stinky breath lately. We should start using a rinse after we brush. It's supposed to be good for you anyway."

I was so scared to tell my hubby he looked awful with facial hair, but when I finally did it, I was so glad. He wasn't even all that offended, but more embarrassed that he went on so long looking goofy with a half-grown beard he thought was cool.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010