Do you think it would be weird to put a non catholic child in a catholic school?

I want to put my dd in a french school and the only one around is a catholic french school, but she is not catholic.. they do accept non catholics but there is only a few of them. Would you find that weird or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why would it be weird. If it is a good school and you trust that they will educate your child in an appropriate manner then you should do it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My kids go to catholic school and we aren't catholic. The schools are terrible where we live and it is the best option. It's really a great school. It does bother me when they cross themselves though. But I've learned to live with it. I feel bad that my kids are the only ones who aren't catholic, but really it hasn't been a big deal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• There are a few kids in this area that go to religious schools but are not part of that religion. They have a catholic high school here where thee kids have school 4 days a week and intern the 5th day in a field that they like. If they still have that program when my kids are old enough than I will probably look into sending my kids to it.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Our local Catholic school is probably about half and half - I mean, half the kids that go their are something other than Catholic... I don't see why it would be weird. I think as long as you can teach your kids the difference between your beliefs and what they learn at school, I don't see any reason why it can't work.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The only thing I would say is if you knowingly put your child in a Catholic or religious school then you shouldn't be bothered if they are required to learn the doctrine or pick up on the religious elements of the school.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't think it's weird.  My 3 kids went to Catholic school for the last 3 years and me and my husband are atheist and were raising our kids that way.  The public schools just didn't have room for them.  It was hard at first dealing with religious confusion and church but we got past it.

It helped, though, that I also went to Catholic school (for 13 years) even though my dad was agnostic and my mom wasn't Catholic.  I knew what to expect.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i agree with kristi..its likely non-churched member will pick up on the different aspects of said church-related school. don't be surprised. i have heard the private schools, particularly catholic/xtian, expect more from the students study-time, and try to stay ahead of public schools. idk, just a rumor?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't think it is weird. My oldest goes to a Catholic school and we aren't Catholic.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would find it dangerous. But it is your choice. They are famous for using hospitals and schools as tools for forcing conversions.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We are Catholic and my oldest (the only one in school) goes to a Catholic school...but even if we weren't he would still be going. It's the best school in our area. As far as I know most of the kids who go there come from Catholic families but they do welcome non-Catholics. As others have said you just need to be prepared for the fact that she WILL be taught certain things about the Catholic faith and if the school is anything like my son's they pray and read from the Bible etc. on a daily basis. As long as you're aware of that and ok with it or at least ready to address those things with your daughter, you shouldn't have any problem. And no, it's not weird.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010