Just a quick in home daycare question

I am in the process of looking for an in home day care provider as our son is not doing well in the Center atmosphere but is it a big deal if they answer the phone during the day?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My neighbor does home daycare and she carries her phone with her all the time when she is with the kids. I have heard & seen her on the phone... she has no problem watching the kids while talking, often interrupting to speak to the kids. You want someone who can multitasks, because that is a skill she needs while watching more then one kid. ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 3:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If you tried to call about your child and they didn't answer, how would you react? I would say that the person should be responsible enough to answer calls and realize that they are 'on the clock' and not stay on for long lengthy discussions.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• What do you mean? Are they babysitting and they answer the phone? I don't think that's a big deal, but you want to make sure they aren't on the phone all day while watching your child.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• no not unless they are on it for hours and not paying attention to the kids
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No. I think that a person should be able to answer the phone during the day if someone is calling, especially if they are calling to check on their kid.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• well by big deal do you mean someone isnt watching the kids? well maybe they havve the phone right on their hip? I do all day long in case so calls...ask for references. thats the only way to know.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't understand what you mean by "is it a big deal if they answet he phone during the day"? Are you referring to someone watching your child(ren) in your home and answering your phone? If so, wouldn't you want them to pick it up if it were you calling to check on the kids? Or you could just tell them to only pick up calls from certain people if you have caller ID. :) And make sure you always leave a note pad and pen by the phone for if they need to take down a message for you. :)

Also, while we are on the subject... check out care.com. They have in home care providers and provide back round checks and all. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Well I should hope they answer the phone. What if I was calling to check on my child or say I was going to be late? But I wouldn't want them talking on the phone for more than a short period of time. I am paying them to be watching my child, not gabbing with friends.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, that's what I mean.. I was just curious what other mothers thought about them answering. I heard both sides of the fence on this area and wanted to know the "rules" I guess.. just an over paranoid Mommy I guess when it comes to my son and finding someone who I don't know to trust them with my whole world!!
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, its not a big deal. You have to think of an at home atmosphere when you are thinking about an at home child care provider.It is more laid back than a center would be and a stay at home mom that watches children in her home more than likely doesnt have a secretary to answer the phones,lol. So she has to do it herself.I mean, think of yourself staying at home all day with your kids...do you think you stop watching and caring for your children just because you answer the phone? I'm sure you don't.
    Request references, follow your gut instinct when interviewing,go during th eday so you can see other kids at thier house and ask yourself if the kids look happy?
    Good Luck on the transition! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010