Do you like playgroups?

At first a didn't like them the women were really catty. It took me awile but found a really good one that was a good fit for me and my daughter.

Mom2princessq

Asked by Mom2princessq at 3:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• All the ones I've been to have had catty women.
    I now just take the kids to the park and let them play with whatever kids are there and avoid conversing with the other moms if I can. Lol.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I do the same thing, I avoid the women who sit there chatting. I have my own friends.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 3:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I tried joining a few when DS was younger... I didn't like them too much, it seemed most of the moms were in their mid 30's and weren't very nice to me. I'm not sure why because I'm one that can get along with anyone no matter what their age, but it just seemed like a majority looked down on me because I was 20/21 and had kids the same age as them. I haven't joined another play group since.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 3:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think they are good, but they only work if you are a SAHM of course. I tried joining one after my son was born (which was probably too early anyway) and realized that every activity happened while I was at work. So yeah, not so good for me. But I'm not going to quit my job just so I can take my son to the zoo with some other moms. :)

My friend is a SAHM and homeschools and she's involved with a playgroup in MI (I'm in TX btw). I know it's been very beneficial and gives her children the socialization they would not otherwise get.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It is always such a hit or miss with playgroups. I have come across some extremely catty women and have made some awesome friends as well.
    LivinDeadGurl

Answer by LivinDeadGurl at 3:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No way. I've found that they sit around trying to see who's the best mother - it's ridiculous. I wish I could find a group, I think my youngest son would enjoy it, but it's just not worth the pain of scoping a good one out.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No, I don't like them. Its one big competition and ends up being more like a hen house. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I've never found one. JMO
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 3:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010