Paci vs Fingers?

The other night I asked a question about my toddler putting his hands in his mouth. One thing I forgot to add is he has a paci. He is pretty attached to it, but I can usually distract him from having it all the time. Would you give him the paci more often and risk him becoming TOO attached (as in he would want it all day long) just to keep his hands out of his mouth?

mama2000_1

Asked by mama2000_1 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think fingers would be better than pacifiers. Have you tried mittens or anything like that?
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My daughter was the same way. We went with leaving the paci for only bedtime. She would substitute with fingers but if we caught her we would nicely tell her to take them out, distract her with something to do with her hands, but not make a big deal about it. She still slightly does it at 17 months but its pretty rare.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 4:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would give the paci. Apparently, he either still has a high sucking need or has an oral tactile sensory issue. At least with the paci, he isn't touching things and then sticking the germy fingers in his mouth. And I guarantee, unless it is a sensation issue, he will lose the paci on his own later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sorry, I got a giggle this was in the tween catagory of 9-12 years. I would recommend the paci. At least when you want it to be done it is gone. Fingers are always there. I have children at daycare that the parents are trying to break the habit of finger sucking because it is affecting the shape of their mouth and their teeth are relocating in their mouth. They now are putting sour tasting finger nail polish on their children to try and get them to stop. Just something to consider.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• A pacifier is better than a thumb.

1) The shape and the material used will not damage or alter dental development.
    2) When you want to end the pacifier thing? You can just cut the nipple off. Can't cut off their thumbs.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 4:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• At least with a paci u can get rid of it . As long as they're not like 3 with it I think they're ok :)
    XxstefanixX

Answer by XxstefanixX at 5:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I say paci is easier to get rid of them hands. Hands are there all the time. But like one lady said just tell your child to take them out when you see them in the mouth. I baby sat a little boy who sucked his thumb and he was only allowed to do it when he went for naps not around the house while playing with toys ect. He had no probs with it. I would just tell him it is not time to suck your puss As he called it...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:22 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• paci's are good in the beginning but babies usually suck their fingers any way. my sis has 3 girls and not one of them liked their paci so their prefered their thumbs to the paci.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2010