What kind of chores do your 4 & 6 yr olds do?

I am making a chore chart, and I was wondering what chores do you 4 & 6 year olds do? Of course there is cleaning their rooms, although my 4 year old(he just turned 4 this month) still needs a lot of "encouragement" and help to clean his room as he's still learning. But what other things should they/can they do? They do have their own bathroom, which they destroy. Are they too young to start helping clean the bathroom? What's your ideas. I want 5-6 different chores for them to do throughout the week.

Rachell9503

Asked by Rachell9503 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids (7, 5, 4 yr old) help with:
    Setting and clearing the table
    Making their beds
    Picking their toys off the floor
    Putting their shoes away (otherwise they ALL end up near my front door)
    Putting recyclables in the right cans
    watering my plants

They should do more, and now I plan on getting them to help some more, especially after reading some of the other answers!
    I also find that with my 4 year old, I have to be very specific about his tasks - pick up WHAT and put it WHERE. Sometimes color coding things - put all blue toys away. Put all pink toys away, helps a little and makes it fun. Or pick up all your cars and put them in the bucket.
    We also used to put on some music and do our 'cleaning dance.'
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 8:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• my 5 year old every morning has to clean her room and the sitting room since there are always toys in there and she has to bring the clothes from her room and the bathroom and put them in the basement, That is really all she has to do right now besides clean the yard up of toys at the end of the day. We are going to be starting to teach her to wash dishes though or at least help with them.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My daughter will be 4 next week and she takes the recycling to the bin in the garage, puts the silverware on the table, brings her clothes to teh laundry, and cleans up her toys. She also gets allowance for it. $4.00 every 2 weeks which I let her do with what she wants. I was surprised that she saved $34 to go to Sesame Place with and bought something for herself and a friend while we were there
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 4:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• get some clorox wipes and they can wipe down the toilet or sink in their bathroom. They can wipe down the kitchen table, make their beds, help vaccum. little things like that.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 4:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My 4 year old helps me while I do the dishes, she waters plants, feeds our ferrets and fish and will help pull weeds on the weekends.
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 4:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• A 4 yr old can certainly help set the table, mine always helped unload non glass dishes from diswahser. By 6 they were learning how to sweep. By 5 they were separating their clothes into colors, whites and jeans for laundry. My 6 & 7 yr ols have been folding wash clothes and matching socks for nearly 2 yrs now.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think they could help you clean the bathroom, but i like a very very clean bathroom, so i just rather do it myself lol. my daughter (almost 6) cleans her room, she can vacuum for me, she loves to mop but only when it's like with a swiffer bc the other one is too heavy. your four year old could dust, they have fun with that.
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 4:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• wash cloths*
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my son picks up his toys around the house when asked, he cleans his room when asked (he doesnt have to do it on a daily basis just when asked..though sometimes it might be 2 or 3 times a day he is asked) He enjoys helping though..he loves to help feed the animals, wash windows, sweep, and put away laundry.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son is 4 and he will put his clothes in the laundry, put his plate/ bowl next to the sink when he is done, cleans up his toys, moves clean clothes to his room for mommy to put away and helps with his younger brother and he will help me water the plants. Sorry for the ramble. Other ideas always welcome.
    allmomma

Answer by allmomma at 4:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010