kindergarten what should my child know

My son has another year but I wanted to make sure he was prepared, he knows all his letters and some numbers and most of his sounds of each letter and we have started some basic math and he writing some letters.

Also is coolness a factor, like shows kids watch or character clothing kids wear, it just seems so young for this type of stuff.

allmomma

Asked by allmomma at 4:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Teacher here: He sounds right on track. Dont push too hard you will turn him off to learning, just keep reading books to him, talk about numbers and letters when appropriate :)

And DEFIANTLY do not worry about his coolness factor in Kindergarten. If he learns that those things are important from you in Kindergarten, he will be a mess in Middle School.

Usually kids this age really dont get into that type of "coolness" stuff unless the parents really emphasis it.

I try to teach my son 6.5, that what we wear or look like or drive, or live in...etc...does not matter, its the person and how nice they are that makes me be friends with them.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• kindergarden I think asks for to much from kids anymore my DD will be going to school in the fall and she got a paper stating what they need to know. They said she needed to be able to count to 50. ABC's. Address, basic colors, phone number, work number, shoe tying, parents names where they work, to know there coins like penny, dime things like that there was so much more don't remember everything I thought it was to much to ask with parents work and number.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• He should know how to write his name too. they taught my kids that in pre k
    Damali0812

Answer by Damali0812 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• TIP: If you work on him with writing his name...remember: first letter upper case, lower case for the rest. So many parents make the mistake of teaching ALL capitals. This is very hard for them to relearn.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son just finished Kinder - they started off with colors, letters, numbers, names, address, school ID#, and basic writing. He learned a bunch of "sight" words, he's reading well, writes in a journal, and helps me roll coins by counting by the appropriate $ amount to reach the amount needed. (ex: nickels are $.05 and so 5, 10, 15, 20...)
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 5:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sorry...keep coming up with thoughts. :)

You can find the sight words online. Just search Dolch Sight words and you should find many lists:)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i feel, and please correct me if i ma wrong momoftwo, that teachers really want the kids to be able to follow directions and follow the rules. walk in a line, sit in a circle and things like that.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• He should know all his letters, how to write his name, all the sounds to every letter, his colors, his shapes, how to spell his name, his address, and his phone number.
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• He needs to be 5 and he needs to be able to use the bathroom independently. Seriously, that's about it unless you're sending him to an elite private school. It's great if they can write their own name or they know letters and numbers and all that jazz but they teach that stuff in school. In a couple of years it all evens out and he won't have an advantage over the other kids that learned them earlier. If he wants to learn stuff then teach him but you shouldn't be teaching to the test.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son had all the academic stuff cold. What caught him was sitting quietly, raising his hand, follow directions from start to finish etc.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:28 AM on Jun. 30, 2010