Help!! My 3yr old keeps sneeking out of the house. How do i get her to stop?

She has a 2 yr old lil brother, and this is the 5th time she has snuck out of the house. 2 of the times with her lil bro. first couple times she went right out the door. we put lock on them and now she is using windows. We ended up screwing her window shut. She usally does it early in the morning while we are still sleeping. But today she did it while her daddy was wake, and it was the bathroom window which is above her head! Daddy caught her as she jumped out the window. We ask her why she does it and she says that she wants to go outside. She never asked. We try to take them out as much as possible. We have told her that if she keeps it up she will be taken away from us and never see anyone again. (we have had DFS involved twice.) She says that she doesn't want to be token away but she keeps doing it. We just don't know what to do anymore. Please help!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OMG..that is scary. Can you possibly get an alarm system put in on the windows and doors so they make a loud sound when they are opened?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Wow, that is really scary. Do you have all the door knob blockers, chain locks on the tops of doors..etc? Also you could try putting some kind of alarm on her bedroom door so that if she sneaks up before you wake up you will hear her. Also have a baby monitor turned up full blast.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• lol to Kimberlyinberea. your answer wasn't there when i read the question, we must think a like. Maybe it is something to do with me being a Kimberly too.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Put screens on your door and windows...something toddler proof. That's a very dangerous habit for her she could hurt herself sneaking out of end up in the wrong hands because she wondered off. Maybe in the mean time you can set an alarm sightly earlier then she gets up so that you can make sure your up in the morning when she tries to do this and just make sure that you check on her when you can't see her or hear her...usually when their quiet they are up to something lol. Also, I would take her outside more often then usual so she can run and jump and play that's all she really wants to do is be a kid and play outside. Good luck.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 4:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I just dont understand how a 3 year old can get out of the house. Especially through a window!

I have two suggestions.

Like the other poster said, get an alarm system that beeps them a door or window is opened.

The other is to buy some locks...place them as high as possible. This should (at the VERY least) slow her down!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• These should do the trick. They make a huge noise when they are set off. you can get some for the door too. If you can't get these or they don't work for you then you might have to start getting up before her.

My son kept trying to get out of the house too, but we bought a tall baby gate he can not climb over and he can't get out of his room now. It is a walk through gate that he can open, so everynight before I go to bed I put a bungee cord on tight so he can not remove it.

If there was an emergency I could pull the gate down, so I am not worried about it not being safe.
    SleepingBeautee

• Thats scary!

I would probably never be able to sleep thinking my kid was going to jump out the window!

I would probably just set an alarm and be sure to catch her before she does it so you can really give her a big talk

or, another one is those alarm systems for doors that open. They might even have them for windows too.

My family would have those for me as a baby and it worked like a charm. I hope these help. I wouldn't want anyones child getting hurt outdoors when the parents asleep in the mornings! I would probably give you the alarm system as a gift if I were your neighbor! lol.

Good Luck !
    CandieGirl09

Answer by CandieGirl09 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Oh my gosh! That is really dangerous for her to be doing that. I would feel the need to keep tabs on my daughter if she did that until I could teach her that she shouldn't go out without me. My children were good about that tho.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• we do have a dead bolt on the front door and another kind of lock on our back door that is really high up that she can't get it. The window thing just started bout a week ago. my husband has screwed her window shut. Our windows are low and she found a way to climb up and unlock them. then once the window was open she just tore the screen right up. luckly she never has gotten hurt while she was getting out or while she was out, and the times that we didn't find her/them we got really lucky and really nice people found them. Thank you for the advice, if u have any more ideas please keep them coming.
    huskyme

Answer by huskyme at 5:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010