Is alcohol ok for Christians?

This was a topic in one of my groups. I was really shocked at many how answered that it was fine in moderation . I've been in church most of m life . I have always been taught that drinking is a sin.

munchkinaplenty

Asked by munchkinaplenty at 4:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The churches I went to used grape juice and I'm pretty sure they pushed the drinking is a sin thing. I know my mom was VERY against it...they also weren't too happy about dancing if I remember right

I thought it was jsut Catholics that would drink wine and that was it...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• over indulgence is a sin i believe. So getting drunk is a sin.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's also worth pointing out that the bible talks of Jesus drinking wine on more than one occasion. He turned water to wine and even served it at his last supper - which he commanded his followers to recreate... How then, could drinking alcohol be wrong, when Jesus himself had no issue with it?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• drinking isn't a sin in the bible people drank wine that is alcohol. It is how you use it that makes it a sin. If you are going to be an alcoholic then yes, but to drink it once in a while isn't a sin
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I only know of one denomination where Alcohol is always a no-no. All others see it as okay in moderation. Alcohol of, and in itself, isn't harmful, and some forms are in fact good for you in moderation. I don't understand why any religious group would be totally against having a drink with dinner... Although I think drunkenness is a totally different thing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• To my knowledge the bible never says not to drink. It says not to become drunken. I looked some stuff up and I like this site. It was pretty easy to read and understand.  My personal belief is that the ocasional drink is okay as long as it does not interfer with your life, responsiblities or judgment.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My family growing up never drank alcohol openly in the house, but mostly because my dad was a borderline alcoholic (never allowed to drink inside) and my mom quit drinking because of my dad. I had a special situation, I think.

I don't see anything wrong with a little bubbly to celebrate a holiday. There is nothing wrong with responsible drinking. Overindulgence is most definitely different than a glass of champagne, though.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Jesus's first miracle.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Witchqueen, I grew up Nazarene, too (small world, it's not a very big denom)! The Nazarene church is very conservative, though. They recently (as in, within the past couple of years) decided that seeing movies and dancing were acceptable activities.

I've always felt that while drinking alcohol isn't a sin, it can easily cause someone to sin. There is nothing wrong with choosing to not drink, especially since there really is no NEED to drink ever. It's admirable to make that choice for your life, although it should not be pushed onto someone else.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The bible says God gave us plants so we could make them "wine to gladden the heart of man" (Psa 104: 14-15). In the OT, wine is used as a symbol of new life and of the fulfillment of God’s promises to us (Isa 25:6; Amos 9:14; Zech 10:7). In the NT as people have said, Jesus drank wine, his first miracle was turning water into wine (Jn 2:1-11), he had wine at the last supper and told us to do that in memory of him (Mt 26:27,29). Claiming it was just weak wine or something like that is really reading into the bible and not understanding the culture of the time. Jesus apparently drank wine enough that some people accused him of being a drunkard (Matt. 11:18-19). Paul even told Timothy to "use a little wine for the sake of your stomach" (1 Tim 5:23). So the bible clearly doesn't say it's a sin to drink alcohol. What is sinful is getting drunk.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010