How can I get my MIL to drop it???

My MIL will not leave me alone about getting on food stamps. She says we should apply, but I said no because A) we make too much money and B) Even if I could technically qualify... our bills are next to nothing per month so we have plenty left over for food and fun stuff adn then some...even though we aren't wealthy by any means. She just wont' shut up!!! I don't know WHY it annoys me so much, but it does. She has no idea how much money I make...so I think it bothers me because she just ASSUMES little ole me couldn't possibly make as much as when her big strapping son was the breadwinner. I've told her nicely that I'm really not interested at least ten times, literally. After which, she came bringing me the applications!!! I'd really like her to stop bringing it up because eventually someone in the family will hear her, think we're struggling, and I'll have 10 phone calls asking why we need food stamps. Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow. I think this is something your husband needs to handle. That would be extremely annoying, and maybe she'll only listen to her son.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• MILS! Can't live with them...can't kill them!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• tell her how much you make. even if it's none of her business. that you are doing just fine, and dont like to take advantage of a program you dont need when there are people who really need it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Just threaten to have her removed from your home if she does not respect your decsion. Tell your husband about it. Is he aware of what's happening.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 4:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with CAGirl4-- your husband should be the one to say "thank you for your concern, I know you mean well but in all honesty mom it is annoying that you keep pushing the food stamp issue. Listen up cause I am only going to say this once-- things are fine, we are making ends meet and we DO NOT need food stamps. So please back off and butt out!"
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Go ahead and apply...and show her proof of your denial. That'll shut her up.
    NewMom2RAD

Answer by NewMom2RAD at 4:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• MommyH2---- LOL! How true that is! good answer.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• So much for anon...hope no one in the family gets on this site! I don't think so... Anywho...he tried explaining that to her today...but she doesn't seem to believe him. Plus, I've taken the better part of this month off because I had a baby and so we ARE strapped for cash until my first check comes in now that I'm back to working full time again. (from home...so I'm self employed). So when I said "We're only broke right now because I haven't been working lately" she said it was a good time to apply because they base it on the past four weeks income! WTH? And she really means well and just wants us to be comfortable yada yada yada...but honestly...but LIKE buying my groceries dang it! Even if COULD dupe the system like that I enjoy seeing my daughter munching on her organically grown apples and know that I provided them for her! Sheesh. She's a crier, so I really don't wanna be mean. But it IS annoying. Thanks for listening.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I meant but I like buying my groceries...left out a word.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Next time says something I would look her straight in the face and tell her under no uncertain terms that you do not NEED or qualify for food stamps. If she doesn't drop it..either you leave or tell her to leave.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010