Would you be suspicious of a man sitting at a park, watching your kids and smiling?

This happened a couple years ago when my DD was just over a year old, but there was a man there just sitting and chilling. I thought he might be someone's dad, but me and this other gal noticed that none of the kids were coming up to him or he wasn't playing with any as if they were his kids. (You know cause most parents call their kids after a certain amount of time or they start chasing them around, they get involved somehow.) But this guy just sat there smiling and watching all the kids. It was starting to creep us out just a little. Has this ever happened to you? Do you ever see anything suspicious like that at parks or kids places? Do you notice these things. I'll be honest, I definitely look out for it, but not in a paranoia sorta way. If I see something weird it's just kinda hard not to watch and make sure it's nothing weird at all.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 4:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope, never happened to me. But that does sound really creepy!
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Creepy!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• ya that would creep me out.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's not happened to me, but it would be definitely really creepy! I would for sure start going to each others' houses and playing in your backyards!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Unless he approaches the kids or does something inappropriate I wouldn't think his intentions were bad. There are a lot of dads that don't get to see their kids or have lost children. There are also men that love children but don't have any of their own. If a woman were doing it, I don't think any one would even notice, there are good guys out there that love kids. (not in a perverted way.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yeah its happened to me. I just leave and come back another day.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• That does sound creepy...
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I probably wouldn't have noticed. I do not think all men are pedophiles and I don't go around expecting them to be either.

If he had been approaching kids or rubbing his crotch, then I would have freaked out. From what you have described I probably thought he was a guy who likes kids...not all men that like kids are pervs.

I don't worry about it, because I keep a really close eye on my kids and know where they are and what they are doing.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:31 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yes..El sicko! i was at the park with my son last year and we walked down to the duck pond this truck i noticed followed us..well i noticed nobody getting out or anything and felt a little creepy so we walked back up to the playground..the truck drove back up to the playground. I was so nervous and called my husband right away and when the person saw me on the phone they drove away. My dh told me to drive towards the police station and if he was behind me to go ahead and go there. He didnt follow me or anything. You can never be too careful. There are a lot of sickos out there
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Way creepy! Who knows what his story was. He could have been a child molester or he could have been someone a long way from his family and missed them. Hard to say. I wouldn't have trusted him that's for sure. Way too many crazies out there!
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010