Geneology - Anyone else into it?

I am having so much fun digging into my family tree...

I've traced my Dad's family back to the boats they got off of in NYC from Germany in the 1920's...and have hit a wall until I can afford to request records from Germany...

My Mom's family has been in the US longer but her father was adopted so that's been a mystery to unravel...

Anyone want to share their story; tips, tricks or frustrations?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's amazing what you find! No tips and tricks...but I just love learning about those who came before!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My grandmother has a book she had made with my family history (she had been collecting information for years, way before the Internet), it's really interesting! I tried to research my husband's family, but his last name is pretty common, it was hard to decipher who his ancestors are. I gave up.

Good luck to you!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I love doing my family tree. I have been working on my family as well as my husband's. I have a few of my lines traced back to the early 1700's late 1600's for my family coming to America. It's been fairly easy for me as, when they came to this area of PA, they stayed in this area of PA., I've been able to find reference to my ancestors in local history books and in the local newspapers dating back to 1860's. I have even been to where many of them have been buried and take pictures of the graves.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I used to be really into it, before my daughter was born (almost 8 years ago). I'm trying to find some time to get back into it, because I hit a wall with one branch of the family. There are tons of web sites out there with information. I found a lot of useful census records on Ancestry.com; I believe some libraries provide access to Ancestry.com, so you don't have to pay the monthly fee. I also have quite a few family members that have done some research, so that has helped a lot.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My sister and I are both on ancestry.com working on it. We have books that have been complied so it's a lot of data entry. We have manged to get two roots back to 1658 and 1610. My sister is hoping to confirminfo that she thinks may take us to 1498. It is fun. It can also be odd...especially when you find a few skeletons...and we ALL have them somewhere. LOL..I found out a man in our family tree was hanged for stealing a horse from "THE" hanging tree in Goliad Texas..not exactly a warm fuzzy on that one. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Scuba don't give up; you never know when you'll turn over a stone with a treasure of info underneath it!

layh if you don't mind me asking what part of PA? My maternal line is in the Westmoreland; Indiana & Butler County areas...their last name Oden was given to my grandfather because the orphanage was located at/near Mt. Odin area.
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• two roots back to 1658 and 1610. My sister is hoping to confirminfo that she thinks may take us to 1498.
    ________

AMAZING! I would be so ecstatic to be able to go back that far!!
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My sister and I are both on ancestry.com
    ________

I need to buy a subscription - I get so excited when I find some piece of information then when I try to look at it I get the 'sign up & pay' page *sigh*...but I am using it to create my tree just so I have a better organization system for all my info...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• A yr ago I paid good money CONTINUOUSLY to Ancestry.com, and got NO WHERE!!!! I couldnt even find my grandmother's mother. In fact I couldnt find anyone in my family other than close relatives.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• sugahmamma: if you have a rough idea of age and area you can check the SSDI (social security death index); I was lucky with my Dad's family apparently they were used to following the rules and submitting to Census' and the like; so they were pretty easy to find...my mother's family I can't even find record of any one with these names; not just it's hard to tell; it's like they never existed per the Census' so it seems they were not as public of people ... going to be a little harder to track down...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010