How in the world do you start with potty training??

I am so clueless and I feel like I should have all the answers. After all, I go on the 'big' toilet! Any tips and tricks that worked for you would be appreciated. My daughter is 2y 4m.

weberbaby

Asked by weberbaby at 4:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just keep asking them, and rush them to the toilet after they've gone potty in their pants..
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I remember when my dad was potty training the twins he would give them a penny to put in their piggy bank each time they went in the potty, and each time they went in their pants they had to give a penny pack. it worked for them.
    Cressida

Answer by Cressida at 4:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• IMO thye start. HTey ask questions about you going potty. TO encourage this you can take her with you and self praise when you go. 'Yay! Mommy went ___ int he potty like a big girl!" once she is praising you in return you can start encouraging her! ' WE should get you a potty to! You're a big girl!' Get one and let her explore it. She will eventually help you take the lead.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Wow type much? Sorry for all the crazy typos!
    But_Mommie

• I started when my son was 2.5 and showed all the signs of readiness. I took him to the store and picked out real underwear. I spent the next day telling him how he was going to be a bog boy and use the potty. I put him in the underwear and never looked back. I took him every 30 minutes from the time he woke up until he went to bed. When he had that done like clockwork, I moved on to 45 minutes. When he got the, I went to 60 minute. And by about 4 days, he was completely trained.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We started with my 23 month old son 2 weeks ago... we put him right into underwear. The first day was messy as he leanred WHERE his pee came from... after that it's been going well! He still has accident but they are becoming less frequent. He asks to go potty now and only has 1-2 accidents/day. We aren't working on bedtime training yet though... he wears a diaper at nap time and bed time.
    We use Reeces Pieces as a prize for going... he gets 1-2 if he goes on the toilet... he almost never gets candy so he thinks it's pretty cool! Stickers might work too (but my son isn't interested in them)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My daughter is 18 months old and already started showing interest so I bought her a little potty of her own and I take her first thing in the morning, throughout the day, right before nap, when she wakes up, before bed, etc. Most times she won't go because she has already gone in her diaper but it'll click. She knows, she just hasn't gotten the whole concept down yet. Poor thing, she tries. haha She lets me know but it is usually too late. =) For now that is what we are doing but once she gets a better handle on it we will take it from there.
    Harris06

Answer by Harris06 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• When my son was about 18 months, we got a potty chair and got him really familiar with going potty, told him he would get an M&M every time he went. He would go sometimes, but we never got serious about it until about two weeks ago. The best advice I got is that you have to wait until they start telling you they need to go, or, they are upset/embarrassed/hide. Make a BIG FUSS about it, talk about how they are "so big" and let them pick out "big kid" underwear. Underwear is the best route to go because it doesn't feel like a diaper. My son is probably 3/4 of the way there. We aren't able to be as regimented as I wish we could, I need to take 3 days to stay home and do nothing but put him on the potty. Good luck!
    NewMom2RAD

Answer by NewMom2RAD at 4:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Start off by "introducing" them to the potty (i.e.let them sit on their potty when you go to use the restroom) the will let you know if they are interested. If they pee or poop while sitting make sure you cheer them on and reward them some people use stickers we used tootsie rolls. He got one tootsie every time he used the potty. Once they show interest start taking them to sit frequently (we started at every 20 mins). You will be able to take away the diapers or pull ups quickly and soon enough they will start telling you when they have to go and going on there own.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You may need to get a toilet seat for your child. My children couldn't sit directly on the regular toilet seat. They feared they would fall in. Also, the whole potty process is not instantaneous. When your child has something to drink it won't be long before they will need to go., so you may need to take your child more often. Praise helps when there is some accomplishment in showing real progress toward becoming potty trained.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010