Do people know how the government works?

With people placing an immense amount of pressure on the President to do all that he said he would do in his campaigning and being very harsh on his time in office, do people really know how the government works? DO you know the purposes and functions of the Executive, Legislative, and Congress? Or do you get your information from what you hear from others or from television?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i look it up or go to the library to find out learning for myself makes it easier to find out the truth.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Probably not.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Most people don't know one branch from the other. When something goes wrong th eold adage comes into play The buck stops at the top. Obama will get the crap. I do have to say with the congresses popularity down around 15% people know they are supposed to be doing SOMETHING and they aren't and thats about it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The more time I spend on CM the more I realize exactly how few people understand it. As for holding a president to his promises - HE of all people should know how it works and if he cannot deliver it, he has no business promising it. If he's really stupid enough to promise things beyond his ability because he's counting on the stupidity of sheep who don't know how it works and think he can do those things to vote for him, I'm absolutely going to hold him to his bs. He should've thought of that before he promised it, and that goes for his State of the Union addresses and his publicity tours, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Wow it's amazing how people focus on him as "the government". I'm sure we've all said something we thought we could do and then when actually faced with the situation you realize it's best to go a different route. Just with going to school, you learn the logistics and then you are faced with something you've never encountered. Sad how Americans live in the greatest country and still bash the President.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If things are going well the President gets the credit, if they are going badly he gets the heat. The nature of the beast. Most people are aware he can't wave a magic wand and make everything okay. That's the trouble with campaign promises. They can't deliver them most of the time.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• yes I know how the government works..

and yes i asked this same question when bush was in office.. so now the tables are turned on a lot of people.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Yes, I know how government works, and I realize that the President is primarily the "poster boy" for the country, as our members of Congress are the ones who actually draft, sponsor and pass or reject legislation. The President has veto power, but he just signs the bills, and does the photo ops!!

But, what I find most interesting is that when Bush was in office (or any Republican for that matter), he was apparently a "one man show" a master mind, and yet a buffoon at the same time, and EVERYTHING from acts of terrorism to natural disasters was HIS responsibility, and his alone!!

That would be the hypocritical nature of liberals and the liberal media--which controls about 90% of what you read, see and hear.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Doubtful. Did you know they dont even teach about the constitution in schools anymore? Sad.
    My nephew is a senior in H.S. and asked me a few months ago what the 10th ammendment was. Sad.
    It is our jobs to educate our children, dont for one second assume the school system is capable. They are too busy trying to get kids to pass tests to keep up their funding.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Actually, yes I do. I actually got to take Civics in 9th grade before they took it out of the curriculum. I learned about the function of the branches in 1974. I have since learned more and more about the specifics of the system we have that is so great. This is why PBO's subversion of the Executive Branch has been so disappointing and frustration.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010