How to get my 5 almost 6 year old to wipe himself??

My son will be 6 in September and he still doesn't wipe himeself. I have tried EVERYTHING bribing him, heling him, showing him, and I even made him sit in the bathroom until he did it himself. Which ofcourse didn't work because after almost a half hour I gave up cause he was screaming and crying. He has been at friends houses and even there he asks for help after he goes potty. I am so frustrated and in 3 months he will be in school all day and I dont think his teacher will want to wipe him. PLEASE HELP!!!

Meghan090204

Asked by Meghan090204 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try telling him to wipe first and then you will check to see if he did a good job and wipe after..dont cave in.
    also it could be that maybe someone has yelled at him about clogging toilets or something. I told me son to wipe once and if it looks like he didnt get it all to wipe again and flush..wait for the toilet to stop running and repeat.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I had this problem with my DD, she is 4. She would run and and go on her own then sit there and scream for me until I came to wipe her. It drove me nuts! What I learned is that she has trouble wiping with the toilet paper so I let her use baby wipes but even then she didn't want to. So we started a star chart. I bought her a little basket full of dollar store toys (she picked them out) and everytime she got 3 stars she got to pick a toy. I left the basket in the bathroom where she could see it. After a few time of her not wiping herself and then seeing she didn't get a toy unless she did, she started wiping on her own. She still doesn't do it every time, but its a lot better than it was. Also after the basket of toys was gone, she was over the prizes anyhow and more into the habit of wiping on her own. GL!
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 5:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• At 5, with both of my boys is when they started wiping themselves. I had a harder time with my second one though. I told him if he wanted to go to kindergarten he had to wipe his own butt. You know what he told me? That he would just hold it till he got home, lol. They use wet wipes. I just tell them to wipe till no more poop is on the wipe.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Kids are smart. The fact that each time you tell him to wipe himself and he cries and whines and you whip him. He know the second he makes a fuss, you will do it for him. Getting frustrated and using bribes is the worst thing you can do. Your child should not be bribed into something he needs to do anyways. Make it a pleasant experience by giving positive reinforcement for even just a little effort on his part. Praise will encourage him to wipe himself and he will see how happy it makes you. Give him his own special box of wipes. Take him to the store, and tell him he cant pick out anyone he wants. Then, sit down with him and talk about why keeping your body clean is so important and why its better to wipe and feel clean than dirty. Tell him when he goes to the bathroom, the stuff that comes out is bad for the body and must be washed away. Explain to him that whenever he eats something, waste must leave the body
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Kandoo makes flushable potty training wipes that might make the actual process a little easier for him and I think they are on a little box like baby wipes so you can make a big deal out of them being "his" toilet paper. When you wipe him don't just do it yourself, put the wipe or tissue in his hand and put your hand over his and show him how to do it a few times like you're just starting to train him again. After you think he has it down pretty well just hand it to him and tell him to give it a try. A rewards chart might be a good option to try with him for this, he gets a sticker or gets to color a square each time he does it himself without a fuss and after so long he gets a prize for it. Hopefully something I've said turns out to be helpful, good luck!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I got the flushable wipes and just made her start doing it! She sat there and cried and screamed but she knew I was not coming in. The wipes helped her not get any on her hand, since they don't tear as easily. And NO the teacher can/will not wipe him. If you must, put up a reward chart to get him going. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I started when he was 4 years old. I would talk to him about what I was doing. Then I would let him have a try at it. Then if there was still poop on the toilet paper I would let him try to get it off himself. If he didn't want to I would do it, but also explained to him what I was doing in a calm voice. Sometimes he would get poop on his hands, we would just wash our hands and everything was fine. He is five now and he whips all by himself. The only issue is getting starting the whipping process. He is a thinker and he will sit and sit in deep thought. So, I'll have to check on him to make sure he is done so he can go ahead and whip and get out. lol
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 11:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010