Chinese Co's RENT White People!! Thoughts?

In China, white people can be rented.

For a day, a weekend, a week, up to even a month or two, Chinese companies are willing to pay high prices for fair-faced foreigners to join them as fake employees or business partners.

Some call it "White Guy Window Dressing." To others, it's known as the "White Guy in a Tie" events, "The Token White Guy Gig," or, simply, a "Face Job."

And it is, essentially, all about the age-old Chinese concept of face. To have a few foreigners hanging around means a company has prestige, money and the increasingly crucial connections -- real or not -- to businesses abroad.

"There is quite an elaborate fantasy world going on here where if everyone buys into it, it does not matter if it is the truth.

________

Maybe it's just me; but that sounds CRAZY! I mean good job for the white guy/gal I guess but still crazy! lol

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• LOL...where can I sign up?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• That is crazy, but at least those faces are getting paid voluntarily. Too bad they dont want brown faces...We're beautiful too!

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If you're willing to allow yourself to be "rented" - I think that says alot about you.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It seems to me this would perpetuate racial stereotypes.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 5:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Duster you stand around and people think you are a high up person in their company and they probably pay well. I agree MommyH where do I sign up!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• just another way to dehumanize us... when will it ever end!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm not surprised they hold Europeans in high esteem. Look at their cartoons the characters look European. I mean have you ever seen a blonde haired blue eyed Asian.
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 5:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

just another way to dehumanize us... when will it ever end!

___________

How is it different from taking a temp position here? We used to hire temp receptionists or file clerks all the time...?? I think it's kind of the same except they're more acting than working...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

______

This I could see...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2010