How do you keep your cool?

My son is two and full of energy and now defiance. If you tell him no he says yes and visa-versa, to the point to where he will scream at you and throw fits at the smallest things. What do you do to keep your cool? Do I just let him throw his fits, or try to stop them when they are happening?

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore.

No means no.

He's TWO. If he starts that crap now and gets away with it, any ideas what you'll be dealing with at 10? 16? LOL

You tell him no. He says yes. You ignore. If he starts throwing a fit, either remove him and put him in a quiet place alone or just leave him be to scream it out. But don't be reactive. He WANTS attention.

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 5:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my 20 month old daughter is the same way. Dont just give in. And dont be afraid to give a pop on the tush if needed. Hes testing you and if you let him win you will have bigger problems to face.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 5:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Just ignore him when he starts throwing fits. You could also put him in his crib for about two minutes and leave him alone. Then re-enter the room and get about eye level w/ him and tell him if he calms down he can come back out.. Give him a minute or so to stop the tears from flowing and the heavy breathing then allow him to come back out of the room. Ive only had to do that a few times but it has worked for me. Definitely dont argue back w/ him. Ignore the fits and they should calm down.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I put my son in his crib and make him stay in it til he can calm down usally doesn't take any longer than 2-3 min max.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Ignore the fits.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 6:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• DS has to sit on the couch when he has fits or meldowns or whatever. I dont treat it as a punishment, (avoiding another battle) I tell him he needs to sit on the couch until he's calm. Sometimes I have to pick him up and put him there, but he stays and when he's done he gets down. I say "feeling better now?" he says "yes" and goes back to playing.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My DD is sent to her room for tantrums and for defiance she gets a pop on the leg. I will not put up with a child who won't respect what I tell her to do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010