What would you do in this desperate situation?

What would you do if you had two small children, had been looking for a job for a YEAR, your husband worked full time but doesn't even make enough to pay the bills, you are NOT on PA because you were denied for not turning the paperwork in on time (and really don't want to be on it anyway), you are almost two months behind on the mortgage, you only have one car and your husband has it all day (works 30 miles away), you can't take out any more loans, and have done everything you know to do including applying for everything in sight and trying to sell furniture and nobody seems interested in anything you have to offer. What if every work at home job required some investment and you don't have a dime to invest? What would you do if this situation left you feeling so down, you would just do anything (legal and moral) to better the situation. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm assuming you've already cut back to essentials. Besides making money babysitting. Bringing in cash depends on what you have available. In a college town you could rent out a room to a student. A sister in law rented a bedroom to an older woman when things were tough for her. If you have a garage you could rent it out for storage. Could your husband do some occassional work on the side until you're out of this pit? Like yard work or overtime? Could he ask for a raise? Could you walk neighbor's dogs? Or look after people's pets in their homes? Are there any ways you could trim expenses? Like go vegetarian on food or mend clothes until they're totally shot or take up gardening? Perhaps these are all off base. I'm dabbling in extreme measures right now, like foraging. I hope some options come up for you.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 11:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Start babysitting in your home. People drop their kids off to you and pick them up, it's extra money and you get to be with your own children.....that's all I can think of that covers your situation.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would go and try and apply for PA again, call H&W to see what programs they have or set me in the right direction to help pay with the bills, call churches around to see if they have any kind of assistance, there is help out there you just have to take a good chunk of time and start making phone calls and be patient cuz you will most likely get the run around but it just may pay out at the end, start out calling H&W and also check your phone book in the begining they always phone phone numbers you can call for assistance. GOOD LUCK
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• How about seeing if any moms in your neighborhood need a babysitter? In the summer lots of people are in need of a sitter for their school age kids.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Make a budget and prioritize it. Maybe you can't pay your credit cards that's FINE. Feed your family first. Pay the mortgage, utilities, car payment, and fuel. If you don't have any more money then you have to let everything else go.
    You've got to STOP eating out and spending an money that you don't need to. Think about selling you car and getting a cheaper car that can still get you where you are going. Think about it, if you didn't have a car payment, could you make it?
    Both you and your husband can start looking for 2nd and 3rd jobs. Every extra penny will help. Maybe mowing lawns, cleaning houses, babysitting, garage sales, etc.

GOOD LUCK! I hope you guys make it through!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• have you filed bankruptcy?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• you could go and shake your money maker if all else fails =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My sister fell 6 months behind mortgage and filed for a state program and had her mortgage restarted over. Best of luck to you.
    destinys1

Answer by destinys1 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I do career and job search coaching; send me a message if I can help you or your spouse with your job searches.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Send in your paperwork on time for PA. That is what its there for. Doesn't mean you are less of a person. We all need help from time to time.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 6:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010