Going on our first road trip, need some advice!

In 10 days, myself, my husband and our 5 and 3 yr old daughters are driving from Oh, to Ok city. This will be our first real road trip and I am not sure what I should do to prepare. We are going to take 2 or 3 days driving. We want to stop in different cities and sight-see a little. As I have never done this before I don't know what info I need to know about where we want to stop or anything like that. I feel so unprepared and unorganized. My husband "mapped out or trip" saying where we are going to spend the night and saying that we were def going to stop in St. Louis but other than that I'm clueless. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the girls busy during the ride, what to pack as in food and how to better prep for stops along the way or should we just wing it. And if you know anywhere nice to stop along the way. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Sup3rmama

Asked by Sup3rmama at 5:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Travel

• I am a big road tripper, just took a 4,200 mile trip from TN to western UT and back with just me and my ten year old son. I LOVE driving. Honestly, the worst thing you can do is overthink things and get anxious. Of course pack what you need and some extras and make sure you fill up when you are unsure of where the next service stations are, but just try to relax and enjoy the scenery and be a little bit spontaneous. Stop off at the obscure places that seem silly, pull off at rest areas regularly and throw a ball or blow bubbles with the kids. Pack a cooler so you always have cool drinks and snacks, pack fresh fruit and veggie sticks and trail mix and stuff to make sandwiches. Have picnics at rest stops or scenic overlooks. St Louis is definitely a neat place to stop and sightsee. Hit up the zoo if you can, I hear it is great! Have a good time!!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Coloring books, paper and crayons, little trays if you have them for a smooth surface, the activity books at the drugstore with stickers in them my kids love on road trips - the more durable ones where you can move the stickers around to different scenes. Their favorite sing along CDs. Their favorite DVDs if you have one in the car or if anyplace you are staying has one. I filled each kid with a little baby wipes box and that each had their favorite little toys and their own personal crayons so no fighting over colors. Baby wipes!

Changes of clothes in the backseat not packed away. In a cooler, juice boxes, carrots, string cheese, mini water bottles. In another bag cheese and crackers, peanut butter and crackers, cherrios in little baggies, empty sippy cups for the hotel room, and other bagged snack food and a box of pop tarts and or granola bars for breakfast or snack.

Ask many times about rest stops, minds change!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 5:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My best advice is relax and enjoy. Other than that, I usually try to find a few small new toys for my son when we are going on a road trip. If you have a portable dvd player it can be a real life save. Coloring books are great as well. Have a great trip and drive safely.
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 5:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Go to the library and get some books on tape, read them a fun chapter book, music cd's, we have a game called "rubberneckers" so fun
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• pack some healthy snacks. we drove from mi to va last year with 5, 4 1 and 1 year olds. the worst part was fast food on the way there and back!!!! we stayed at a condo and cooked our own meals, but yucky food is available on the road! on the way home we snacked and one meal at a fast food place.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We have AAA and before a big road trip I go and get their tour books for the states we'll be visiting. Then I look to see what cool things there are to do in the areas we'll be.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• pack lots of activities like crayons and coloring books, a coolor that is easily accessable to drinks for the kids and you, and snacks (all these should be accessable).

Next, look through his "mapped out" travel plans. Go to a site map and schedule stops every 2 hours for bathroom breaks and stretches and/or food. By following the map you can see online where rest stops and restuarants are by typing in what you need. That way you'll have an idea of what's available without getting off main roads.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2010