How do you relieve breast engorgement??

I just gave birth and am not breastfeeding. My breast are huge and rock hard and painful. I have been using the cold compress but its not doing much. Does anyone know of ideas to help?

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Take some Ibuprofen, this helps swelling. That sucks you have to go through that :(
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Place warm/hot wash clothes and place them over your breast. Slowly and gently stroke your breast in a downward motion,using the entire hand. After that try feeding the baby or pumping your milk.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Cabbage leaves inside a tight bra
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• There is a tea in health food stores that helps stop the milk production. Can't remember what it's called! Mommy brain...
    nataliemorgan

Answer by nataliemorgan at 6:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• hand express just enough to relieve the pressure.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• ok, i can't resist...it is not too late to breastfeed!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Cool cabbage therapy. Take a cold cabbage leaf, roll over it with a rolling pin to bust the veins in the cabbage leaf. Stick it in your bra and when it warms up and isn't cool anymore take another leaf off and do it again. It really works. My sister thought I was nuts when I told her to do that and I was pulling some kind of prank on her but it worked.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010