Is it mean to give DD time out for crying...over everything?

She is 2.5 and very articulate. She has gotten to where she cries when I tell her no. When she loses a toy, when she wants something...So I started gving her a hug and telling her to calm down and then if she keeps up I put her in time out. Mean? Any other ideas?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think its ok if you are saying to her-"ok you are having a hard time so lets have a minute to get it together babe"...kwim? not just time out but time out with a purpose-otherwise honestly it will prolly make her cry more.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If the crying is obviously not due to physical pain I tell my kids they can go to their room and come back out when they are sweet and pleasant. I do this for crying and whining, and it works great for us. I don't think it's mean, and I think if you use it consistently and don't wait for it to escalate you'll find it happens less frequently and/or less intensely.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I will tell my 2.5yo if he is going to cry then he needs to go to bed (if he is just whining) and he can come out when he is done.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 6:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Ignore. I wouldn't even hug her. Crying shouldn't = reward IMHO. I don't have kids, but I've done the nanny thing. Be firm and then ignore the protests. Right now, there's a payoff.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 5:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I was also thinking of ignoring her whenever she sounds whiney. I'll be interested to see the responses you get. Good luck.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 5:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• What the first post said
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i give my daughter one chance now to use her words and stop crying. then she goes to her room. she has a horrible high pitched cry, it is awful!!!
    i was just talking to a woman with a 5 yo that had to start doing that too, she said she wished that she would have started sooner!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The child who is most unlovable, needs love the most....

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I tell my son he needs to go to his room if he wants to be whiny and he can come out when he wants to use his words or when he's calmed down.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 6:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010