Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are adoption laws?

My husband and I are thinking about getting a divorce. Our 16 year-old daughter won't want to go with either of us if we do. She'll want to go with some other relative or friend who will take her. Can this happen? Is this allowed? Also, at 16, is she able to live by herself? Will the government provide her with money for living on her own?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (5)
  • Um, I dont think a child can just up and decide to go live wherever they want and at 16 she is still a child. If you choose to give custody of her to a family friend or relative then that is legal. At 16 she is not able to live by herself and no the government will not give her money to live on her own. If there is no way she can live with either parent, a friend or family member she will be placed into state custody and be placed in either a foster home or a group home.

    Answer by m_ellingson at 5:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • There is something called emancipation but I dont really know what all the criteria would be for her to "divorce" you or her dad.

    Answer by kjbennett26 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • In order for her to be legally emancipated from her parents she would have to prove she can take care of herself by paying her own rent, etc... It can be a long and hard process and usually, teens do not get approved.

    Answer by Jenniejen77 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

  • Of course she cant live on here own, and biggest question why would you let her make her own choice. She doesnt have the right. If she wants to go live with a family member because she doesnt get along with your or her dad, then maybe she should go with family. But someone who actually wants her!

    Answer by bellamommyof4 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

  • It probably depends on the state, where I live a child over 15 can decide if they want to live with mom or dad, they can't decide if they want to live with relative. If you're thinking about given parental custody or guardanship to another family member that is possible, I would be careful not reliquish your parental rights however so that you still have a say in her upbringing. I also believe children at 16 can file for emancipation but like another poster said I think that would be hard battle for her to fight.
    At 16 she is child and shouldn't be allowed to make this decision, its your decision to make based on her best interest.

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.