Can anyone please tell me something about this Emo thing going onwith kids...

My daughter does talk to kids her own age except their thirteen and pierced on the face and tongue. Some wear dog collars. They also talk of harmless things like becoming a vegan, which I don't mind it's the other things I don't know that get me thinking. Are they just goth or should I worry? A counselor told me that Emo includes body mutilation.
So I have a lot to think about when my daughter asks for a dog collar, the purple or white one with rhinestones.

Mommy2mj

Asked by Mommy2mj at 5:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Health

• Let her express herself how she wants to. With the self mutilation, that stems from deeper issues, so just make sure you keep a good relationship with your daughter and let her know you are there to talk whenever she needs someone to listen with no judgment. If she is going to self mutilate, that would be something she does rather she's wearing a dog collar or not. And not all "emo" kids are in to self mutilation. good luck.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 5:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Don't know sorry. When I was about 15 I went through a "Goth" phase but it basically was dark, baggy, clothes and lots of eyeliner. I don't know about the Emo thing and I NEVER hurt myself. My mom just let me go through it and I eventually came out of it on my own. :) Good Luck
    MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i was wondering the same thing! even adults use that word emo alot i never got it till just now hahaa
    veronicaxo

Answer by veronicaxo at 6:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Well I guess I was thinking the correct way about tletting her go through it. I just have to convince her Dad.
    Mommy2mj

Comment by Mommy2mj (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• *sigh*
    I see Emo as liek the wimpy Goths!...
    someone told you they were about body mutilation meaning??? being cutters? I was a cutter -my daughte was a cutter. What you need to worry about with that is this- if they are cutting wher epeople can see it...they are doing it to do it. If they are cutting and COVERING it-THAT's a problem to worry about. As for piercings and whatnot, I really do not see the big deal unless it is something that can't be taken out or will cause a huge hole- hair color is another thing I don't worry about-hair grows and can easily be changed back to normal color. How old is she? is this a sudden thing or has it been more gradual? pick your battles, show her you love her no matter what, be interested in what she has to say and give her respect is really all I can tell you- the same things you would do with any kid I think ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• *wow...bunch of typos in there...sorry
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• No. Emo doesn't have anything to do with body mutilation. EMO is short for Emotional. It's a state of being where they're in touch with their emotional side. SOME children self mutilate, but that goes for any trend or culture. That isn't specified to one specific group of kids. EMO wear their hair across their face, listen to sad and emotional rich music, some write poetry, they have a tendency to believe that their world is dark and gray. For some it's just a style choice, where others it is a whole lifestyle. It depends on the group of kids, the individual themsevles, and where this is stemming from. Because not all kids in the same group take it as seriously as another.

Goth is a whole different "style". Goth is more about morbid recognition. Thinking cemetaries and death are beautiful. They listen to metal and heavy rock music. They tend to dress in all black, where Emo wears bright colors and black.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• (Contin) Again though, some Goth kids are more into it then other Goth kids. Some take it more seriously. They are different then EMO though, though sometimes I understand it can be hard to tell. EMO listens to Breaking Benjamin and Good Charolette. Whereas Goth listenes to Slayer and Megadeath. It's a whole different culture inside each little trend.

You have to trust your daughter that she knows what is okay and what isn't. Just because her friends are doing it doesn't mean she will. If you want to make sure she won't then sit down with her and see what she thinks. Listening to her is important, don't just talk her ear off. You have to understand that a child being pierced, tatooed, and with funky hair at 13 doesn't make them a threat to your child or society. That only means their parents 1. Pay a little less attention or 2. Their parents are a little lax on the rules.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Goth is a whole different "style". Goth is more about morbid recognition. Thinking cemetaries and death are beautiful. They listen to metal and heavy rock music.
    ********************
    Actually... Goth is really not so much about morbid recognition...yes we do like a beatuiful cemetary and like to wear a LOT of black and we definitely like Halloween, but Goths can be quite happy, silly people and a lot of the goth music I listen to is actually quite uplifting and fun so...
    -I do like alternative rock, classic rock and some metal as well as hair bands from the 80's and swing music as well
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• *Slayer and Megadeath are not "goth" just so ya know ;)
    Bauhaus, the Cruxshadows, Bella Morte, Sisters of Mercy, Cinema Strange, Faith and the Muse, Siouxsie and the Banshees....that sort of thing would be goth!

I do agree with the part about listening to her and not assuming that jsut because of these friends-that there will be problems.
    :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010