What age would you allow your child to go on a sleepover with a friend (not grandparents or close family)?

My daughter is 4 and was invited on a sleepover with a friend from pre-school. I'm not sure I am ready for that. She really wants to though.

Fortnerfamily4

Asked by Fortnerfamily4 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think they need to be a certain age. As long as you are comfortable with the other parent and that parent wants to take responsibility. My kids went to one when they were 4 and 5.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Do you know the parents? Have you seen how they interact with their child?

At 4, I think kids are too young to effectively "vocalize" concerns. If I did not know the people, I would politely decline. If I knew the parents and their general parenting ideas and felt those were in line with mine, I'd go for it.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 5:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son is 4 and he spent several days with a family friend while my husband and I were out of town. I dont know if I would be comfortable if it was just a kid from school at this age though.
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 5:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• We started sleepovers right around 4 years old with friends (of coarse we knew the parents). It seems more how mature the child is, basicly are they ready to stay some where without mom/dad?

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 6:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i think its not about the age...it is about the household they are going to and the parents. but if you are comfortable with the parents then i think 4 is fine!!
    bcw4786

Answer by bcw4786 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• if you don't feel comfertable with it then say so. I think if she wants to and you know the parents then I think it is worth trying. But because she is so young you may get a call in the middle of the night to come pick her up. It wont hurt to try though. I would only allow it though if you know the parents
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• it honestly depends on how well you know the freidns family. if its not well its very strange they are inviting kids that young to stay over, jmo.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Unless I knew the parents really well I wouldn't let my daughter sleep over at anyone else's (Except family) home at age four. I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Again unless I knew the parents really well. I would wait until she's at least seven.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my son was 6 and had a hard time at his grandmas!
    we have had a 5 yo stay with us. he did great!!!
    my 5 yo will have an easier time than the 6 yo.
    different kids are different!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I guess it would depend on the maturity of the child. 8 ish would be my first idea.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 6:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010