What age should you allow your child to go on a playdate without you?

My daughter is 4 and on her first playdate without me with a friend from her pre-school. I can stop thinking if she is okay or not. I trust the mom and I know she will be fine. What age should I let go?

Fortnerfamily4

Asked by Fortnerfamily4 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think as long as you trust the parent then I would allow the child to go. Also as long as the child is potty trained.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i waited till he was 6
    johnny4ever

Answer by johnny4ever at 6:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think four is a good age to let her go on playdates with another mom and child. If you trust the mom then trust yourself to believe everything will be fine. I figure she has your number, you have hers, so you're more then welcome to call and check in.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my son was 5.
    it is hard! your child will be happy though!
    good job mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't know. My kids are 2.5 and 1 and I wouldn't let them go alone yet.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 6:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• well i think it depends less on the age and more on the other responsible parent that you are trusting your child with. i would let my close friend or family member take my 2 year old without me. but as for a mom in another playgroup and a childs school friends parent, i would wait until the kids was maybe 5, old enough to understand and speak up if something went wrong. my DD just turned 6 and she has my number memorized in case of an emergency.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It depends on the child, the parent and the relationship with the playdate friend. Both my kids were about 5. With my DS (now 8) he's rarely at a friend's with me although I do end up staying at some birthday parties. My DD is a different story. There are some friends I'll leave her with and some I'll stay. She has food allergies and so I need to have a comfort level with the other parents' ability to limit Meg's snacks to what I've looked over beforehand AND their own comfort level with being in charge of her emergency medication should she have a reaction. If I don't trust them to keep her safe and/or they are not comfortable being in charge of her EpiPen then I stay. I also stay with both kids for pool-dates.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If this is a parent you know and trust, than now is fine. Enjoy your free time. If this is a parent you don't know so well, than I would stay. when my girls were in preschool the moms all sat around and had lunch and talked, it was kinda a play date for us too!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• For us, that number was 9.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2010