Step to deal with them?

Adult children that treat me bad,are so disrespectable and unkind to me and have been since the beginning. I have tried everything to make them feel welcome and loved in out home but no matter what they find fault with me. When their Dad talks to them about ti their reply is "we don;t have issues with and we try to like her"but them they also ask him "well are you taking her side over ours". So how do I continue to deal with them. I told my husband that I was done, I am done being treated like this when I have done nothing to be treated this way. I deserve to be treated better.

Asked by dgail at 6:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Keep it friendly. the best thing about my stepmother is that she never crossed that line between mother and friend. She gave advice only when needed or asked for and kept everything fair between me and her own children. remember that when they claim the father is taking your side that is their only ammo. in one ear and out of the other. they'll see it doesn't work and respect that their father loves you and as long as you treat him good they have no argument

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Step Children, how to deal with them? - Yahoo!7 Answers
    "Step Children, how to deal with them?" - Find the answer to this question and millions more on Yahoo!7 Answers. -

Answer by vbruno at 10:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• It happens. I have young stepchildren but they have already started the "you're not my mom" thing. I told them that they don't have to love me or even like me but they do have to respect me. I told them that I will respect them if they respect me. It is hard for children to accept that their parents are not longer together. My oldest stepson is constantly telling me about when his dad and mom were together. It took about a year but now they understand that I'm not going anywhere and if they love their dad they need to just get used to me and respect me for who I am. I quit trying to be their mom and now I am just trying to be their friend. I know being friends with your kids is not a good thing all the time but they will never see me as their mother and I'm not going to try to fill her shoes.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• good answer heather.

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• They are adults,And should act that way.If you are nice, they should respond the same to you.If they can't be nice, just be civil and hope it gets better.I'm a step mom too.It's hard most of the time.

Answer by evelynwest at 3:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2008