Can anyone share a good recipe for making refried beans from dry beans?

I have tried several times, but they never turn out well.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 6:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I rinse the beans very well in a strainer and then you sort through the beans and take out all the broken ones or little rocks like things. Then I put them in a crock pot filled with water and salt and set on high and just let it cook. I check on it from time to time and add water if needed and add garlic salt and stir and let cook until done. I usually put them to cook around 9-10 am and there done by dinner time 5-6PM. make a red chili with hamburger and you have chili con carne. You can also mash them up and make tostadas or burritos. Yum!
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Mmmm...I love beans. I'm a nerd, I know.
    What I do, is soak the beans for about 1-2 hours then drain the water. I like to use black beans, personally. Then, I put them in a hot pan with some oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, chili flake, and CUMIN...lots of cumin! I just cook them until they are tender, not dry. then serve. I know it's not quite refried beans, but they are so delicious!
    nataliemorgan

Answer by nataliemorgan at 6:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Don't add salt or anything acidic (like tomatoes) until the beans are completely cooked.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• ^^ oh yum! That sounds sooooooo good. I have actually never attempted my own refried beans, but I may have to try that!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Pick through the beans (sometimes there are rocks!) Throw out bad beans and not-beans. Rinse well, pour into a pot, cover with water and parboil the beans for 10 minutes. Drain the juice off and cover with water. (This gets rid of excess gas). I put them in the crockpot usually. I season them with a slice or two of diced bacon or ham, salt, cayenne pepper, a few medium chunks of onion, a small clove of garlic and some cayenne pepper. (Sometimes I use some cajun seasoning.) I cook them until tender and the juice is thickened. Remove the ham or bacon, the onion and garlic. So good with cornbread!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010