How would you say this name ?

Thinking of a name for my little girl....

I like the name Malin I would say it as May- Lynn but my friend said she sees it as Mal - in ( which I get since that is how it is spelled). I also feel that pretty much any name even common ones get mis-pronounced ( My name is Catie ... and I often get called Cat-e )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• May-Lynn.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my first thought was may-lin but i could see it being pronounced either way to be honest.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I can see both
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 6:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I love that name... but that could be because MaeLynn .. is my middle name... I love the spelling as Malin too... which I can see being said either way ( which both ways are very pretty too ) ... But like you said even common names are said wrong so your little girl probably will get asked how to say her name a few times but obviously any name could be that way... My first name is Andrea ( ann-dree-a) and I have been called Ondrea many times
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 6:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My first thought was May-Lynn. My youngest DD's name is Cassandra and we call her Casey ( pronounce Kay -see) but a lot of peole use the short a version (cah-see), which I HATE!
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 6:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My first thought was Mal-in, but just because I knew a girl named that once and that's how her's was spelled.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I see May-Lynn. When a vowel is followed by ONE consonant it is a long vowel.... in order to pronounce it like your friend says, you'd have to spell it Mallin.

If you are concerned about people pronouncing it wrong you could spell it Maelin or Maylin, but I like your spelling best!  GL.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think May-Lin, probably mostly because my hubby works with a Chinese lady with that name.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I am a big fan of unique names but this one got me....lol. I thought it was Ma-lin. I like the name tho.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• When I first saw it I thought of it as May-Lin. I can see others saying it as Malin too though.
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 6:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010