• In the Spotlight:

Sodapop for childrens cough?

My mother in law gives my son soda when he coughs. Is this even good for him? This is the 3rd time she did/gave him something that isn't for him. Corn Syrup in his bottle, Vicks for his nose when it says not for under 2 years of age and now this. Who said I even wanted my son to have pop in the first place? I do have diabetes in my family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sugar will only make it worse.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I've never heard of it. Probably just some old wives tale. Because I drink entirely too much pop and it has never helped me when I have had a cough.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• What kind of soda did she give him because I have never heard of soda curing a cough .. cream soda maybe?idk.

Anyways you are just going to have to set some ground rules with her. Tell her before she decides to medicate him to contact you first from now on .
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It does nothing that I know of... soda isnt exactly good for you so I really cant see it having any benefits. Although I will sip on sprite, 7up or ginger ale when I have an upset stomach.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 6:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I've never heard of that, and believe me, my grandma advises me on all the "old timey" parenting tips, one of which landed my brother in the hospital.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Maybe the carbonation does something good? At any rate I would choose seltzer water over pop. The sugar can cause more mucus and sugar is HORRIBLE for yur immune system.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010