Are there any treatments for sore cracked nipples (breastfeeding) besides lanolin?

I'm vegan, so I don't want to use lanolin...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i never used anything, it just healed on its own
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 6:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• A & D ointment or rubbing your own expressed breast milk on the nipples.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 6:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If you don't want to use lanolin the only other thing I've heard it to spread some breast milk around the nipple after every feeding.

BTW, I did a little research for my own curiosity and what I found was lanolin comes sheep's wool, not from animal's fat. Huh, you learn something new everyday, I thought it came from animal fat.
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't know if you can use this but I was told a little bit of vaseline would be okay and help, or like the PP said expressed breast milk. Don't despair to much though it'll get better with time I promise.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 6:55 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't know if you're opposed to wool (since sheep are not harmed by the process of shearing wool - I've seen it done, they don't mind, I promise). Lanolin is extracted from the wool. No sheep are harmed in the process. =)

Another method is gel packs (you can usually buy them where pumps and stuff are), and expressing breastmilk on your breasts and let them dry. Also, don't use any kind of soap on your nipples (even natural stuff), and avoid hot water.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I used Motherlove nipple cream. I was only able to find it online, but LOVE it. I believe it's vegan. It's olive oil based, maybe also has shea butter... a few ingredients, not a ton. It can also be used in the diaper area, or as a lip balm... the stuff is AMAZING. LOVE IT. Also, you can use your own milk on your nipples, express a bit, rub it in, air dry. Voila! I totally recommend the Motherlove stuff though. Like $9-$10 for a jar, which is about the same amount that is in a tube of Lansinoh, and about the same price.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I used the gel pads called Soothies. You can put them in the fridge to cool them and then put the on your nipples. They helped sooo much!
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 7:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Breast milk works great... and its free!
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I know this may sound a little weird.. but try cabbage leaves... it will obviously not give you moisture but it feels AMAZING!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Air. Breastmilk. And dip your nipples in shot glasses of salt water, it helps the healing and keeps the wounds clean.

No cabbage leaves! That is a rememdy to relieve engorgement -- ie. drying up milk.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010