How is it still allowed?

Lately there has been a lot of debate about hormones and antibiotics being pumped into our meat and dairy food products. Girls and boys are beginning puberty at staggering young ages, some as early as 5 and 6. These hormones are most likely to blame. My question is, why is the FDA and USDA not doing anything about it? I know eating organic can elimate some of the problem, but in many areas of the the US, including mine, organic food is not readily available.

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Not readily available or too expensive for the average family to afford in the tough times some of us are still having. I don't understand how half the things that we put in or on our bodies even infant formula and bottles are not being more closely regulated or done away with all together. Very sad.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Because they don't care. A lot of food is simply not food to me...just because they classify it "safe to eat" doesn't mean it is food and should be put into our body.

I think there should be more done than just making guidelines and things being monitored...however the only thing one can really do is to not buy that crap.

If I couldn't afford organic then I would simply cut out dairy and meat or keep them to a weekend thing. I don't eat these products anyway but if I did then I would have to cut down if I wanted to stick to organic. I would also only go to my local butcher as they are pretty good on price so it would mean I was getting quality at a price I could afford.

I would stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables and try to be organic with the ones that have the most pesticides used on them.

Basically what I am saying is that I will avoid some "foods" like the plague - my health and body and my son's is top priority.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Why? Because most people don't care. Stop buying hormone-laden foods and the producers will stop producing. Humans don't need meat or dairy to be healthy.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Organic is expensive and as per my daughter's doctor I switched to organic milk. The pus, antibotics and hormones are disgusting!!!!! I can't afford everything organic but I can afford the most important: milk. (it has such a long shelf life too and taste a million times better too)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms. If you don't like it, stop eating it.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 30, 2010

• Because they feel the sickness in animals and extra expense of not using steroids to mature meat animals quicker is worse. Honestly, it's stupid, which is why this year I'm getting together a couple of hundred dollars to buy a deep freeze and get my cousins to bag some deer, because DH and I can process it ourselves, even ground meat, and freeze it for healthier and less.
    truthrowan

Answer by truthrowan at 4:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2010