In my 40s - How do I make new friends?

I am getting divorced. I work at home, do overtime, do the single mom thing, etc... totally overworked.
I really disconnected, always did, I have ADHD and i am always worried that I'll say the wrong thing or that folks wont like me.
How do I make new friends (sanely, safely)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• meetup.com. There are tons of different groups with different interests that meet.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 7:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Stop worrying that you'll say the wrong thing and just be yourself. I'm sure people will want to be your friend for who you really are. Find places where other moms like yourself might hang out. I know I meet new friends every single time my son takes a class that I have to sit on the sidelines for. Find a new hobby or take a new class those are great ways too.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Online sites for your area and bars and just be really outgoing talk to people you see in stores or movies just put yourself out there :)
    nickynova

Answer by nickynova at 7:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Why not join an excercise class? The new craze is Zumba...its like latin dancing. I'm sure you'd meet tons of new people. Getting involved in activities is your best bet. And stop analyzing yourself. Confidence attracts people to you. If you are shy and worried about people not liking you, people won't find you approachable. And you want to make true friends who like you exactly for who you are...so be yourself from the start!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Do you go to church? Are there any ladies groups there? I agree that you need to join something for yourself. Take a deep breath and jump in! Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• join an outside activity.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Darn....fairyinabubble beat me to it. LOL meetup.com has all sorts of interest in there. It is not a dating site but rather one to find groups that have the same interest as you.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010