Is a 2.498 GPA horrible or just average?

I am about to graduate from college with a BS degree in Psychology. I am 24 years old. I am looking for a job dealing with animals, such as a wildlife ecologist, zookeeper, or animal trainer. I am not planning to go to graduate school. How will employers look at my GPA? Would I have problems finding a job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Never in all of my career (which was 20 years although I'm a sahm now) did anyone ever ask what my gpa was. Nobody cares, they just want to see the paper that you graduated.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 7:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's a little below average to be honest. I would just put your degree on your resume and highlight your experiences and coursework leaving out the GPA.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• do you have work experience in those fields?
    i don't know how psychology can help you with those jobs. those are not on the job training jobs.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's average.
    4=A
    3=B
    2=C
    1=D

C is average
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Would I have problems finding a job?

It's not great, but what might be a bigger problem is that there are degrees designed specifically for the fields you want to get into - Parks Management, zoology, ecology. A friend of mine is getting some sort of Parks & Wildlife degree and has done internships at zoos and archeology sites. That may be a bigger hurdle than the grades.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• 3.0 is average. Anything below that is low.
    However, employers don't tend to look at GPA scores. They mostly look at what you studied, if you did internships, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I was told that they don't care what your GPA was, they just want you to have that piece of paper, and if you left it out of your resume, they probably wouldn't even notice.
    SebbiesMommy

Answer by SebbiesMommy at 7:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Honestly most employers do not care about education or GPA's anymore. They care more about experience. So, your best bet is to try and find an internship your last semester of college to gain some experience.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:24 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• As someone who used to hire people, I just wanted to say that I DID look at GPA, especially when faced with several candidates with similar qualifications. When folks are fresh out of college with little experience, there isn't much else to go on. Honestly, I wouldn't put your GPA on your resume. If asked don't lie, but I wouldn't offer without asking. A GPA should only be on a resume if it's really good - at least a 3.5.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• First of all, congratulations on completing your degree. That is an accomplishment. When I was in school people would drop a class and retake it to get a better grade, or nag at the professor endlessly. My GPS is about the same as yours. Yes, there were classes I probably should have dropped an taken over but they weren't core to my area of interest. Focus on your strengths and don't let anyone get you down. I wish you the best and I think it's very good that you know what you want to do. Many graduates still have no idea. All they know is they did what they were supposed to, they went to college, now what? When you know what you want you are more likely to get it.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010