Coverage for uninsured in poor health comes with a catch

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is launching a special coverage program for uninsured Americans with medical problems this week, the most ambitious early investment of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

But here's the catch: Premiums will be a stretch for many, even after government subsidies to bring rates close to what healthier groups of people are charged.

And $5 billion that Congress allocated to the program through 2013 could run out well before that.

ttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38005962/ns/health-health_care/

Anyone else think this is going to cost much more than expected, and not cover as many people as they promised?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Anyone else think this is going to cost much more than expected, and not cover as many people as they promised?

laughing  How many times did people on here TRY to get this little fact out there, and how many times were WE called fear-mongers, liars, haters, etc??  Forgive me for laughing now, but I'm at the point of either laughing or crying.  So, I laugh.  We (some of us, anyway) TRIED to tell y'all, but, no, you couldn't be bothered to listen to what we had to say then. 

29again

Answer by 29again at 11:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I'm not at all surprised. In fact, I seem to remember mentioning that likelihood several times when all of the health care debates were going on....but no one wanted to hear it.

This is what translates to the so-called "death panels." You see, if your pre-existing medical condition costs MORE than you are considered to be worth (as in you are close to no longer being a income tax generating person), or you are "older," as in 50+, then your treatments will be placed on a lower priority. You MIGHT get treatments, but you will have to wait, and they will likely be limited. And in waiting, you may become terminal, or die.

The goal for ANY insurance company is for their subscribers to live a healthy lifestyle so they don't have to pay out anything. Chronic conditions turn you into a financial liability! The government simply cannot support the medical, health, and wellness of 300 million people!! It's not rocket science!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• The situation right now for many people is that they are uninsurable,

***
    And even with this "fabulous" plan there will STILL be at least 30 MILLION people who remain uninsured. How do you know you won't be among them?! Have you been promised affordable coverage, and that you'll somehow move to the head of the line, because you've been waiting so long? Have you EVER been to the Department of Motor Vehicles, well that's about the speed and attentiveness you can expect with Gov Care!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I read the article. The premiums ARE high, even subsidized. Many people won't be able to afford them. I know I couldn't.

SO, what is a person going to do? If you can't afford the premiums, or if you are one of those unlucky who CAN afford the premiums, but the plan runs out of money. Oh yeah, you will still be uninsured, but in the meantime, all those pesky little tax increases to pay for the plan will start to pop up.

I see two rather LARGE problems. HCR will create worse health care problems if people cannot afford it. To cover those people, the government will have to come up with more money. Do you leave them uncovered or do you raise taxes further?

Of course this plan is going to cost much, much more than Obama suggested. That's obvious. And there will be plenty of people who still won't be able to afford coverage.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Trout caviar is cheaper than beluga caviar. Doesn't matter, though, when you have a Chicken of the Sea budget.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• At the moment I feel like they can just kiss my butt. If they want me to carry health insurance then they need to pay for it. I will not take away from my children mouths just to get what they want.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It will still be cheaper than paying out of pocket. The situation right now for many people is that they are uninsurable, or the payments are too high to even be considered. So a gov subsidy and coverage is still a better spot than they would be in anyway.

***

Do you know this for a FACT?!  I would LOVE to see those numbers!  Got a link or something in writing that says it will be cheaper than any private insurance you can obtain today?!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• SURPRISE! Not! I've mentioned that in every health question I have answered. Seems they forgot to madate that the insurance co. make it affordable.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Its a start. I think even if a few people can get coverage for even a short period of time, maybe some of the children that need medical care can get something.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 7:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I dont even have insurance right now, Im not eligible through my job and when I tried getting help from the goverment for JUST insurance I recieved a letter stating they would insure me but my payment would be $600 a month, yes a month. I was like WTF is that.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 7:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010