My mother is going to move in with us!

Hi Ladies,
My mother recently got a divorce, and I recently had a baby. I am going to go back to school full time to finish my degree, and she offered to move in with my husband and I to help with the baby and financially (pay half the mortgage) since I will be in school and only working part time.

What do you think??? I love my mom, but I am not so sure it will be a good idea... This is only temporary, just until I finish school about 3 years.

Should I let her move in with us?? It would be such a huge help, but I don't want to make a huge mistake.

Anyone live with their mother? Any advice would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• If it is going to help you and he out, then I would do it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I think it's an awesome opportunity! Sure, she might get on your nerves sometimes, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives!

Good luck!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• we did for a long time. my mom is really easy going and doesnt try to take over though. it can work out. some boundries may have to be set up though. good luck!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• How well do you get along with your mother? how well does hubby get along with her? will she allow your home to be YOURRULES and YOUR WAY? or wil she try to take over? living with a parent is very very complicated. plus she is coming out of a divorce so likely also going to be emotional times too. i wish you well.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If your husband is Okay with it and your close to your mother, then go for it. Just be assured that it will be temporarily.Best of luck!

PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It is always difficult to live with someone! Consider how well you and your hubby get along with her, how everything is going to work out, and make sure you discuss everything up front. Who is gonna pay what (electric, gas...), who is gonna buy what (food, toiletries...), who is gonna do what chores, and so on. So there is no confusion later! I was sorta in the same situation last year, and my dad moved in with me to help out so I could quit my job and go back to school, but it ended up a big mess because nothing got discussed other than the bills. I ended up doing all the cleaning, and buying all the groceries!!! Living with someone is so much more than that! GL

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Have a family meeting ealry and discuss the "rules" . If you are all on board it might work out well. Make sure it is only short term. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• If your mother gets along well with you and your DH maybe it can work. But set those rules as many as you can think of to let her know her bounderies and your family as well. Who buys what and how much. Will she be sharing cooking responsibilities and cleaning as well? Just lay out who does what and stick to it. Myself, it wouldn't work for my MIL at all. She is really a handful already and does nothing but complain about everything in my home when she does visit. You'd think she would be happier to be flown out here but man all she did was gripe and moan. Anyway I bet everything will work out for YOU though, as long as you all get along fine and keep up with your rules it will be great.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• depends on your relationship with her
    My mom and I hadn't lived together in 10 or 11 years
    She recently moved back to the states after being over seas for 7 years. My son is 6.
    She moved in with me and I am going CRAZY! I feel like I have a 6 yr old kid and a 59 yr old kid most times.....
    Hopefully that won't be the case for you. :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Long as your mom knows the boundries tht you put in place... Good luck in school...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010