Infant constipation question

My daughter will be a month old on Friday
The dr has had me try karo syrup, cranberry juice with water, prune juice with water, apple juice with water and infant laxatives!!
Then after all that and nothing working but the laxatives SOMETIMES he told us to start putting vasaline on a qtip and help her go.
She screams when she has to go its so sad
Right now she is on soy formula
but is there anything else i can do for her?

Mommy2be6810

Asked by Mommy2be6810 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she on a low iron diet? Sometimes the iron in the formula can really make a mess of their little digestive systems. Enfamil makes a low iron formula, but it isn't soy. I have a family that comes to my daycare that takes their infant to a massage therapist that helps them with her digestive system. It seems to work for them. Just an idea I guess. Poor baby, hope things work out.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 7:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My son went through this also. I also tried everything and nothing helped. My doctor just told me to help him go and the constipation would pass. My son was also on soy formula.
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 7:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Is the formula low iron? Too much iron could be the problem! I would just give her straight apple juice, it is the sugar in the juice that will help her go...so I dont know why the dr would tell you to water it down. Just keep being persistant about giving the juices or karo syrup!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Wow...I don't necessarily agree with all those things the doctor told you to try. In my opinion, its probably the formula that is causing the problem and maybe you should talk to him about switching her to another type?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Aw poor baby...I also dont agree with some of the suggestions the Dr. has given you... What Formula are you on? I would recommend Similac Soy, for sensitive tummies! Good luck!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree that there are a LOT of interventions going on that aren't always suitable for infants. First. When she DOES go, what is the stool like? Consistency, I mean. Soft? Dry, hard pellets? That's important. If it's not dry, hard pellets, I don't believe it's classified as constipation. Next, no no on the Karo. Karo's own website states that this is not suitable for infants, so I wouldn't do that again. Have you been to a GI, or just the regular pedi? Truly, if it is constipation, the first step I would have done, ( keep in mind, I'm not an expert though, and I've also never FF'd ) would be the pediatric glycerin suppositories. Half of a pediatric one I believe, is suitable for an infant. After that, if it didn't work, I'd have requested to be referred to a specialist. The juices, and laxatives, I don't think are a great idea for infants, at least not without 2nd or 3rd opinions. How often does she move cont
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I didnt agree with everything my dr was having me try for her either my last appointment he pretty much told me to let her cry and scream threw it and just help her. Im in the process of changing doctors and hopefully that one will prescribe her no iron formula or low iron i cant find any without iron so i was told the doctor can prescribe a special one
    Mommy2be6810

Comment by Mommy2be6810 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my dd was really comstipated at a week old, i tried all this stuff its only now that we have something that works... its called lax-a -day polyethylene glycol 3350 , she has to have 7.5 cc everyday so she dont get bound up..i would recommend asking your pedi about this stuff, it take water and pulls it into the bowels to soften it up. we were seeing one pedi, who kept trying everything and just making matters worse, we finally had enough and brought her to see another pedi in feb and he done a x-ray on her bowels and her bowels are that stretched it could take up to 2 years to go back to normal, and he put her on this stuff and told me that as her poop gets more like direah then back her off a little. she started off at 10 cc. Good luck! i hope all works out for you and you r little one, i know what you are going threw! please keep me poseted!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 7:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• her bowels, and what are the stools like, are the key questions here. What laxative is she being given? I know that Miralax is NOT approved for pediatric use (last I'd heard) and that there can be some serious adverse affects in infants/kids. And again, have you gone to GI, or just regular pedi? Hope I'm able to help!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• its actually extremely hard and its her pediatrician
    Mommy2be6810

Comment by Mommy2be6810 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010