feeding baby solids and breastfeeding

I am a breastfeeding mom. When I start feeding my son solids, how often do I feed him solids and how do I tie the solids in with the breastfeeding?

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wait until 6 months. I would not do cereals, they are hard to digest, often cause constipation, and there are many other more nutritious foods. The best first foods are mashed avacado or banana. Always nurse first, then offer solids. In the first year, breastmilk is the MAIN source of nutrition. Solids are only for experimentation and getting used to tastes and textures. It doesn't matter if they barely get a taste. A great resource is www.wholesomebabyfood.com.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 7:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I went with fruits first at 5-6 mos and did it before bed by about an hour. I did half a jar then finished off the feeding with breastfeeding. After a month or so I started with solids in the morning. I would nurse when they got up then solids. I did fruit in the am then veggies in the pm. By like 10 -11 mos it was 3 meals a day and the dinners had meat in them. I never bothered with baby cereal. I did this with all 5 kids.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would also advise 6 mos at the earliest. Remember that before a year, you ALWAYS nurse before solids. I also do not recommend infant cereal, but rather starting with a fruit or veggie as suggested above. Banana, avocado, sweet potato, I actually used zucchini as a first food for my son. At first, you start with just a few bites, once a day or once every few days. You can gradually increase the amount, and frequency, remembering to nurse first. Alternately, many nursing moms choose to skip purees, and wait until the baby is old enough to eat soft table foods, and self feed. This isn't a bad idea either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• my daughter is 7 months and i have been doing cereal just before bed. i was told i didn't need to introduce solids until 9-12 the dr said. it's really up to be but from what i've been reading it seems waiting to feed solids is better. i jusr do the cereal to see if she will sleep through the night but nope she doesn't.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I agree with all above except do veggies first.

I started my son on veggies first, no fruits at all, and now he is not picky, he eats whatever, of course he likes the fruits better.

Even if you want to give something mildly sweet do prunes or sweet potato
    don't go for apple, pear, blue berry until after veggies because those are soo sweet.

I also just made mine from home, the jar crap really is like drinking the food, babies like to learn to moosh it themselves
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:02 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• You don't need to do veggies first, that's a myth. Breastmilk is extremely sweet! Don't do jars or cereal. Wait six months at least (but longer is fine). Food before one is for fun and experimentation not nutrition. So the best thing to do is mealshare. once your baby has lost the tongue thrust reflex, can sit unassisted, and can actually manipulate food with their tongue, gum/chew, and swallow those are readiness signs. Purees are not necessary. You can start with soft TABLE foods as suggested like sweet potato, avocado, ripe pear, lightly cooked fork mushed blueberries, butternut squash, etc. avoid cereals (they can't digest it..just makes stinky poo and gas) and jar food (bland, textureless and not fun or interesting). Experiment with hummus, baba gannoush, fork mushed beans. Mealtime should be tasty. Don't worry if she doesn't eat much. Encourage self feeding. Load a tablespoon and let her go.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• My baby has had every fruit or veggie immaginable. Fresh Blueberries really aren't that sweet, neither are apples. What is cloyingly sweet is jar proccessed fruits. WAAY too sweet for anyone. Don't be afraid to mush what you are eating. My baby has had veggie bean burritto, goes ape over the blueberries in my pancakes, 3 bean chili, guacamole. At 7 1/2 months I would smoosh the beans in my fingers, a month later she could pick them up with her pincer grip and feed her self. It is amazing how quickly they learn tongue control and the pincer grip when you let them have at it!

Enjoy the mess :) And if you don't want a mess choose less messy fare. But really, the mess is fun to watch. Nothing like watching a baby delightedly squeeze the daylights out of a chunk of pear then suck the juices from their fist. haha.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Stupid cafe mom limits. You don't have to lightly cook blueberries you can just mush them or once the baby has a good pincer grip just cut them in half or quarters depending on size. They make really fun navy blue poo.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I started my baby around 6 months and my doc said it really doesnt matter what you start with, just so you give time to see how they react to it. I started with oatmeal cereal, just to try to get her used to using a spoon. Did the same with my son only with rice cereal. But you can do veggies or anything really. Most say veggies first so they don't get hooked on sweet fruits first. My baby is 8 months old and just doing one "meal" per day. I bf her and maybe a half hour to an hour later i give her some kind of veggie or whatever I'm feeding her that day. Some days it's lunchtime, others it's dinner time when we're eating I'll mash up what we have. Before 12 months it's all practice with chewing, mashing, tasting and all that.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 10:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• As often as you care too, AFTER nursing. If he gets a spoonful a day that's FINE. Skip the cereal. Mashed avocado or banana is a great starter, but be aware that banana can constipate so nbe sure to nurse first.

The good news? Anticipating solids is harder than DOING them. We mashed whatever we were eating. Done. Couldn't be simpler.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2010