Is it really not normal for 5 year old boys not to be "nasty"?

Okay I asked a question earlier about my son,, who "skirts" around bad words,but loves to tell people shake youweanie, or your boobies,, he is 5 and thinks he is the life of the party,,totally not cool,but a couple of people stated this isn't normal behavior? I never had a little boy, just my brother who was always trying to get someone's goat>>>LOL! My husband and I do not talk nasty,, I am sure he has learned it from older boys he goes to school with. I wasn't stressing too much until the responses,, I just thought little boys liked farts, weiners things that little girls don't,,,am I wrong? I pretty much am a girly girl with girls,,, my little brother did the same thing, but now am worried,,,a couple of them almost led me to believe something could have happened?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 7:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 7 boys later......I do think some of it is "normal". I think the important part here is that you clearly spell out what is acceptable. My boys have embarrassed me multiple times with their public outbursts of inappropriate behavior and language, but most people shrug it off. In fact just yesterday at a t-ball game we bought the kids those little "ring pops" (suckers in the shape of a ring). Well my three year old very proudly started babbling about his "cock sucker". A little funny, but we of course told him the appropraite vocab for his treat :)
    good luck
    kiddosX8

Answer by kiddosX8 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't think that you need to worry that something happened to him. I do, however, have a 5 yr old boy and he does not talk like that at all. You have to remember that unless WE as parents tell them that something they say or do is wrong and inappropriate, they won't know. If you agree that the things your son is saying and doing are inappropriate, you need to tell him. Then you need to establish consequences for when he say inappropriate things.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:57 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• It's pretty normal for a 5-yr old to say things that get attention - any sort of attention. He probably heard someone else say it, I really wouldn't sweat it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Little boys really do like to say things like that... Just ask any 1st grade teacher what the most liked topic is for a group of 1st grade boys... farts, butts, poop...etc Not sure some totally out grow it either...
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• if i heard my son telling a woman to shaker her boobies i would pop him across the mouth!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I don't think I would go as far to think something happened. I agree with scuba and at 5, they tend to say whatever it might be that gets a rise out of people. Sounds like all normal things he's probably learned from other kids.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• normal!
    My son is 6 - the word poop gets added to about everything....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sounds like he his only repeating what he is hearing. I seriously doubt he fully understands what he is saying. Personally our sons don't talk like that because we are strict on who we let around our children for this very reason.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 11:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• i have a 5 yr old boy..he is constanty saying butt and fart in front of other normal words..he thinks hes soooooo funny...my other 2 boys did this too. i dont think its WRONG...i mean hes trying to be funny.... like my daughter asked for her back pack and he said "you mean your BUTT pack? ahahahahahahaha" stuff like that...
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 2:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2010