Should I be worried about my son?

I have a 3 yr old son and he is very active and won't sit for 2 seconds. I tried to sit him down and read to him so he can learn his numbers and shapes and colors but he won't sit still what can I do to get him to pay attention and learn. Any ideas Ladies

Emilyrose200809

Asked by Emilyrose200809 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• take him to the park and run him till he is all worn down then take him home and stuff him full of a good diner give him a warm bubble bath.....then at bed time he will be ready to listen or sleep....:) gl...my toddler is ALWAYS full of energy till he drops....something about that age where they have to be constantly on the go....
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:07 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Sounds like my two boys (they are 14 and 21 now)... at three there was no way they wanted to sit still to learn anything, even to watch TV to give mom a little break! My two girls on the other hand will sit for up to 15-20 minutes to do a puzzle or play a board game. You know the old saying, boys will be boys. They are just more large muscle orientated than girls at this stage of their life. My best suggestion is try to find activities that would use more activity, like sidewalk chalk. Or lining up his cars in a row to count.
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Few 2-year olds are going to sit still especially to be taught. Kids this age need to 'experince' what they're learning. Forget instructing him. Play. Explore. Sing. Dance. Enjoy. He can learn amazing things just through play. You want to help him learn colors? Take him out back with big sheets of paper and finger paints. Let him go nuts with it. Talk about the colors he's using but don't quiz him. Simply comment. "I really like the way you're using the blue paint. Nice job." When you play ball, use adjectives "can you get me the blue ball? Did you know a ball is a circle? What else can we find that's a circle? Right! the wheels on your bike." Teach numbers by playing Hide and Seek. You count LOUD. He'll pick it up. go for walks or bike rides, etc. Race. "I'll race you to the mailbox with the number 2 on it. See it there? 2." There are opportunities to learn EVERYWHERE. Use your play and daily experiences to teach him.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would not be to worried until he starts school. You can always talk to his doctor about it and see what he/she says.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Instead of trying to get him to sit still, teach as you go throughout the day. If you take a walk, and see green grass, point that out to him. Point out shapes in the kitchen as you're making dinner. He is pretty young for a formal sit down lesson, but that doesn't mean you can't teach him. Have fun with it!
    LDSmomma

Answer by LDSmomma at 8:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I would talk with your dr. I hate to say this but boys tend to be more active than girls.
    missiedoo

Answer by missiedoo at 8:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• LOL! Missiedoo - I think it's more just an individual thing than a gender thing. Of my two, my son is much more laid-back and calm than my DD. He's the one that would be sitting with a pile of books at a young age just looking through each or happily playing a board game. My daughter STILL at 5 1/2, would rather be on the move than sitting still. She *can* but it's not her preference. The only thing that gets her to sit (outside of school that is) is her art. She'll read but it's in short bursts. She'll work on her art for hours. Otherwise, she's down and on the move.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2010

• Thank-you ladies for your all your support and ideas. I will see this works and if it does Thanks again
    Emilyrose200809

Comment by Emilyrose200809 (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2010